… Carlo Ancelotti threw on Neymar 10 minutes later but Norway had the better of the chances in the final quarter, as Alisson saved from Schjelderup before the Benfica winger delivered the cross from which Haaland headed home. …
… The issue of players covering their mouths became high profile in February when Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni raised his shirt while speaking to Real Madrid’s Vinicius Jr during a Champions League game. …
… Jota’s path to stardom was highlighted as a rare case of an elite Portuguese footballer who never spent time at any of the big three academies – Benfica, Sporting and Porto. …
… Last month, sources close to Amorim distanced him from the impending vacancy at his former club, Benfica, as it became apparent that Jose Mourinho was about to leave for Real Madrid. …
… Last month, sources close to Amorim distanced him from the impending vacancy at former club Benfica as it became apparent Jose Mourinho was about to leave for Real Madrid. …
… Real Madrid have paid Benfica £13m (15m euros) in compensation to bring the Portuguese head coach back to the Bernabeu – some 13 years after his first stint at the club came to an end. …
Portuguese full-back Joao Cancelo has rejoined Barcelona permanently after his Al-Hilal contract was mutually terminated, signing a three-year deal as a free agent. Cancelo spent last season on loan at Barca, helping them win La Liga, and this marks his first permanent move to the club after two previous loan spells.
Portuguese full-back Joao Cancelo has rejoined Barcelona permanently after his Al-Hilal contract was mutually terminated, signing a three-year deal as a free agent. Cancelo spent last season on loan at Barca, helping them win La Liga, and this marks his first permanent move to the club after two previous loan spells.
Jose Mourinho told Vinicius Jr it was "not worth" leaving Real Madrid, and the Brazilian signed a six-year contract with the club after entering the final 12 months of his previous deal. Mourinho, appointed to a second stint as Real manager in June, said he advised Vinicius that he would only understand Real Madrid's value once he left it.
Chelsea have set a Friday deadline for offers of £120m or more for midfielder Enzo Fernandez, who has sought a move since March after a difficult season. Manchester City are among potential suitors, though it is unclear whether they would meet the player's valuation.
Bournemouth are finalising an £11.1m move for Sevilla right-back Juanlu, 22, on a long-term contract, marking the club's third summer signing under new manager Marco Rose. The fee comprises an initial £9.4m with £1.7m in add-ons.
Chelsea signed England midfielder Morgan Rogers from Aston Villa for £117 million, a reported UK record fee for a British player. The 23-year-old has signed a contract until 2033, and the deal surpasses the previous record of £116 million paid by Manchester City for Elliot Anderson.
Ipswich Town signed Ghana winger Abdul Fatawu Issahaku from Leicester City for £20m on a five-year contract. The 22-year-old, who scored 16 goals in 100 games for Leicester, is Ipswich's fifth summer signing as the club prepares for the Premier League.
Ipswich Town have signed Ghana winger Abdul Fatawu from Leicester City for £20m on a five-year contract. The 22-year-old, who scored 16 goals in 100 games for Leicester, is Ipswich's fifth summer signing as they prepare for their return to the Premier League.
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin did not attend the World Cup final between Argentina and Spain in protest against FIFA decisions, citing issues including US President Donald Trump's intervention in a suspension case and other changes driven by FIFA president Gianni Infantino such as extended half-time shows and a proposed 64-team World Cup format.
Chelsea have reached a verbal agreement with Aston Villa to sign England international Morgan Rogers in a club-record transfer worth £117 million, with a medical scheduled for Monday and personal terms already agreed. The 23-year-old attacking midfielder will sign a six-year contract until 2032 with an optional additional year, and the deal will become Chelsea's most expensive signing and a new British transfer record.
Jorge Jesus, 71, has reached full agreement with the Portuguese Football Federation to become Portugal coach after Roberto Martinez stepped down following a 1-0 World Cup last-16 loss to Spain. Jesus will sign a four-year contract running until the 2030 World Cup co-hosted by Portugal, Spain, and Morocco.
Erling Haaland scored twice in the second half to help Norway defeat five-time winners Brazil 2–1 and reach the World Cup quarter-finals for the first time. Brazil's Bruno Guimaraes missed a first-half penalty, and despite Neymar converting a late penalty, Brazil exited before the quarter-finals for the first time since 1990.
UEFA will not use the red card law for mouth-covering in confrontations across its competitions, despite approving the rule change. The decision comes after the Benfica-Real Madrid incident in February, where Gianluca Prestianni was banned for homophobic conduct, though UEFA referees may still show yellow cards if warranted.
Midfielder Diogo Jota, a Liverpool player, died in a car accident in Spain on 3 July 2025, a year before Portugal's World Cup match against Croatia. His teammate Ruben Neves continues to message Jota in a WhatsApp group with Jota's widow and maintains archived conversations to send him messages on special occasions.
Former Manchester United manager Ruben Amorim has been appointed head coach of AC Milan on a two-year contract to replace Massimiliano Allegri. The 41-year-old Portuguese coach will forego remaining pay from Manchester United following his January dismissal.
The 41-year-old has agreed to replace Massimiliano Allegri and is expected to sign a two-year contract later this week. Amorim is reportedly forgoing his remaining Manchester United salary following his dismissal in January.
Real Madrid have confirmed Jose Mourinho's reappointment as head coach on a three-year deal, with the 63-year-old Portuguese coach beginning work when the squad return for pre-season on 13 July. Madrid paid Benfica £13m in compensation, clearing the way for Mourinho's return 13 years after his first stint ended.
Marco Silva, 48, has agreed to become Benfica's new head coach following Jose Mourinho's departure to Real Madrid, with Real Madrid paying Benfica £13m in compensation. Silva, who left Fulham after five years when his contract expired, will sign a contract until the end of the 2027-28 season with an option to extend.
Real Madrid offered Atletico Madrid 150 million euros for striker Julian Alvarez, but the club rejected the bid, citing the player's 500 million euro release clause.
Jose Mourinho is set to return to Real Madrid following club president Florentino Perez's re-election victory, which secured a presidency term until 2030. Mourinho agreed a three-year deal with the Spanish giants last month, and the move was conditional on Perez retaining the presidency.
Turkey qualified for the 2026 World Cup after a 24-year hiatus, ending their absence by eliminating Romania and Kosovo in playoff matches. Coach Vincenzo Montella has assembled what is considered their strongest squad ever, featuring young talents Arda Guler of Real Madrid and Kenan Yildiz of Juventus.
Fulham manager Marco Silva has confirmed he will leave the club after five years in charge, with a move to Benfica imminent. Silva steered Fulham from the Championship to Premier League promotion in 2021 and has since established them as a top-flight side.
FIFA referees' chief Pierluigi Collina revealed that players will be prevented from going to the technical area to consult coaches when goalkeepers are injured at the 2026 World Cup. IFAB has also approved a request to change VAR protocol to review attacking fouls occurring before the ball is in play.
Real Madrid head coach Alvaro Arbeloa said he would be pleased if Jose Mourinho replaces him next season. Mourinho is in final negotiations to become the club's new boss, 13 years after his first spell at the Bernabéu.
Jose Mourinho completed an unbeaten Primeira Liga campaign with Benfica, finishing with 23 wins and 11 draws, but ended third on 80 points—eight behind champions Porto and two behind Sporting. Mourinho is negotiating to become Real Madrid manager, potentially ending his tenure with Benfica.
Jose Mourinho is returning to Real Madrid 13 years after his previous stint, as announced by president Florentino Perez at a contentious press conference. The appointment aligns Mourinho's siege mentality and media-focused approach with Perez's worldview amid internal divisions in Madrid's dressing room.
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez held a tense press conference calling for elections, insisting he will stand again despite a trophyless season and Barcelona's back-to-back La Liga titles. The 79-year-old, in office since 2009, rejected suggestions he is too tired for the role and challenged critics to contest the election openly rather than through anonymous briefings.
Jose Mourinho is in final negotiations to become Real Madrid's next head coach, 13 years after his first spell at the club. The 63-year-old is the only candidate Real Madrid are currently in talks with for the role, which would replace current head coach Alvaro Arbeloa.
FIFA has extended Argentina winger Gianluca Prestianni's six-game suspension for homophobic conduct to have worldwide effect, meaning he could miss his country's opening World Cup matches if selected. The Benfica player was originally banned by UEFA for directing a slur at Real Madrid's Vinicius Jr during a February Champions League playoff clash.
Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni has received a worldwide ban for abusing Vinicius Jr, extending his UEFA six-match suspension to cover Argentina's first two World Cup matches if he is selected. The 20-year-old admitted to homophobic language towards Real Madrid's Vinicius during a Champions League match in February.