… Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quashie, said this week that nearly 926 Ghanaians had already been repatriated under earlier stages of the programme, with a further batch of roughly 900 registered nationals cleared for evacuation as of 25 July — an operation Q …
… Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quashie, announced the final phase of the operation on July 14, explaining that the move was facilitated through the intervention of the Office of the President and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in response to concerns over th …
… overnment will on Friday, July 25, 2026, commence another batch of evacuation of Ghanaians from South Africa, following the registration of close to 900 citizens who have voluntarily expressed interest in returning home, Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quashie …
… While government is yet to announce the date for the evacuation, Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quashie, has assured that it will prioritise Ghanaian nationals to ensure they arrive safely when evacuation begins. …
… Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quashie, speaking on JoyNews’ Connect Africa, said the mission continues to engage South African law enforcement authorities and other key stakeholders while closely tracking developments through multiple information channels. …
Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quashie, has confirmed that every Ghanaian national detained during anti-immigration demonstrations in parts of South Africa on June 20 has been released following the intervention of the Ghana High Commission. …
… In a public advisory issued through a video message, Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quashie, assured Ghanaians that the Mission, working together with the Government of Ghana, has put in place measures to safeguard their safety. …
… As Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Kofi Quashie, put it when the first repatriation flights departed: “The responsibility of every government is towards its citizens, in Ghana and everywhere.” It is not a diplomatic formulation. …
… Ghana’s Ambassador to South Africa, Benjamin Quashie, disclosed that the evacuation exercise is being coordinated by the High Commission in collaboration with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Office of the President to ensure the safe return of Ghanaians who have voluntari …
Government is continuing efforts to evacuate more Ghanaian nationals from South Africa ahead of planned anti-immigration protests scheduled for June 30, Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quashie, has disclosed. …
Ghana's Government has announced a new evacuation phase bringing approximately 1,000 Ghanaians home from South Africa this week, prioritising women, children, the elderly, people with medical conditions and students, in response to renewed xenophobic violence. Nearly 926 Ghanaians had already been repatriated in earlier stages, with a further batch of roughly 900 registered nationals cleared for evacuation as of 25 July.
Ghana's Government has announced a new evacuation phase bringing approximately 1,000 Ghanaians home from South Africa this week, prioritising women, children, the elderly, people with medical conditions and students, in response to renewed xenophobic violence. Nearly 926 Ghanaians had already been repatriated in earlier stages, with a further batch of roughly 900 registered nationals cleared for evacuation as of 25 July.
Ghana is conducting the final phase of its mass repatriation exercise for Ghanaians stranded in South Africa following xenophobic attacks. Nearly 900 Ghanaian nationals voluntarily registered to leave, with about 926 already repatriated in earlier stages and remaining registered individuals beginning to return home on July 25.
Ghana's High Commissioner announced that the government will begin a final evacuation of around 900 Ghanaians from South Africa on July 25, 2026, following earlier successful repatriations of citizens stranded after xenophobic attacks. The Department of Home Affairs and Border Management Authorities have approved the date for the exercise.
Following violent anti-immigrant demonstrations in South Africa that killed one Ghanaian national, Ghana's High Commissioner to South Africa has assured that 900 Ghanaians registered with the Ghana High Commission in Pretoria will be prioritized for evacuation, though the government has yet to announce an evacuation date.
Ghana's High Commissioner to South Africa says the mission is providing diplomatic protection and monitoring security following anti-immigration protests, including issuing advisories to Ghanaian residents and directing shop owners to temporarily suspend business activities. The High Commission is engaging South African authorities and using diplomatic engagement to address threats against Ghanaian nationals.
Ghana's High Commissioner to South Africa has confirmed that all Ghanaian nationals detained during anti-immigration demonstrations on June 20 have been released following intervention by the Ghana High Commission. The detentions occurred during immigration enforcement operations amid anti-immigration protests in South Africa, where police conducted identity checks and worked with the mission to verify and release Ghanaian detainees.
Ghana's High Commission in South Africa has advised Ghanaian nationals to remain indoors and suspend business activities on June 30 amid planned anti-immigrant demonstrations. The High Commissioner said the Mission has secured accommodation at churches and hotels, coordinated police protection, and is arranging another evacuation exercise for those wishing to return home.
South Africa faces mass mobilisation against undocumented migrants triggered by a viral fake government notice, but the underlying crisis stems from state corruption and a compromised immigration system rather than migrants themselves, according to this analysis.
Ghana's High Commission in South Africa has relocated nearly 900 Ghanaian nationals to safe locations ahead of planned anti-immigration demonstrations on June 30, in collaboration with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Office of the President. This follows an earlier repatriation of 938 nationals who had voluntarily requested to return home.
Ghana's High Commissioner to South Africa says the government is continuing efforts to evacuate more Ghanaian nationals ahead of planned anti-immigration protests scheduled for June 30. According to the commissioner, nearly 1,000 Ghanaians have been successfully repatriated under a voluntary return programme, with additional nationals registered for assistance.
Ghana has repatriated more than 5,000 stranded citizens from around the world since the COVID-19 pandemic began, most recently bringing home 327 nationals from Côte d'Ivoire whose homes were destroyed in a demolition exercise. The repatriations follow earlier evacuations from countries including South Africa and the United Kingdom, with contributions from the International Organisation for Migration's voluntary return programme.
The African Chamber of Content Producers has called for African Union and AfCFTA intervention to address xenophobic attacks on African nationals in South Africa, saying the situation has prompted Ghana to evacuate approximately 300 of its nationals and risks damaging intra-African trade, tourism, and unity.
JoyNews' Newsfile programme will host a discussion on three major issues: the controversial proposed National Information Technology Authority (NITA) Bill, Ghana's evacuation of citizens amid xenophobic tensions in South Africa, and allegations surrounding the audit of the 13th African Games. The NITA Bill discussion is expected to focus on concerns that expanded regulatory powers could stifle innovation, while supporters argue stronger regulation is necessary for cybersecurity oversight and consumer protection.
JoyNews' Newsfile will examine the controversial proposed NITA Bill, which seeks to expand the National Information Technology Agency's powers into regulating Ghana's digital ecosystem; Ghana's evacuation of citizens amid xenophobic tensions in South Africa; and allegations surrounding the 13th African Games audit. Supporters argue stronger regulation promotes professionalism and cybersecurity, while critics contend licensing requirements could create barriers for startups and young innovators.
Ghana's High Commissioner to South Africa says the first batch of Ghanaians being evacuated amid renewed xenophobic tensions is expected to arrive in Accra on Wednesday, May 27. Between 200 and 300 Ghanaians are expected in the first group, with additional flights planned in the days ahead.
Ghana is receiving its first batch of evacuees from South Africa on May 27, with about 300 Ghanaians expected to arrive in Accra, according to Ghana's High Commissioner to South Africa. The evacuation follows rising xenophobic tensions in South Africa, with additional flights planned for further evacuees.
Emmanuel Asamoah, a Ghanaian who returned from South Africa after suffering xenophobic attacks where he worked as a nail technician and hairdresser, has received GH¢200,000 in financial support from businessman Ibrahim Mahama to help rebuild his life. He was also received by Ghana's High Commissioner to South Africa and the Minister for Foreign Affairs upon his return home.
Ghana's High Commissioner to South Africa has urged Ghanaians facing economic hardship or safety concerns to contact the High Commission for possible voluntary repatriation, offering government support for reintegration upon return. The offer follows recent xenophobic disturbances and applies to those whose livelihoods have become unsustainable or who no longer feel secure.
Ghana's High Commissioner to South Africa has urged Ghanaians to remain on high alert following recent xenophobic attacks targeting foreign nationals, and disclosed that high-level meetings with South African authorities indicate the situation could escalate in some parts of the country, though it is currently calm.