Ghana Minute.
Sunday, 23 August 2026
Ghana’s news, on the hour · Est. 2026
Sunday, 23 August 2026
Accra—:—London—:—New York—:—Beijing—:—
Ghanaian press · Person

Dr Justice Srem-Sai

Also known as: Deputy Attorney-General Dr Justice Srem-Sai · Deputy Attorney-General · Deputy Attorney General · the Deputy Attorney General · Deputy Attorney-General Justice Srem-Sai · Deputy Attorney-General and Minister of Justice · Dr Justice Srem Sai · Mr. Srem-Sai · Deputy Attorney-General and Minister for Justice Justice Srem-Sai · Dr. Srem-Sai · Deputy Attorney-General and Minister for Justice Dr Justice Srem-Sai · Deputy Attorney General Dr Justice Srem-Sai · Deputy Attorney General Justice Srem-Sai

Deputy Attorney General defending government's speedy trials push and investigations into corruption cases including AKSA scandal.

2026-04-292026-08-23

In coverage

Verbatim sentences from the source article.

  1. July 2026
  2. Joy Online

    She further urged the judiciary to revisit the legal threshold for constitutional referrals, citing the Supreme Court’s decision in the case involving former Member of Parliament for North Tongu, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, and private legal practitioner, Justice Srem-Sai, popularly

    Minority demands equal galamsey enforcement, urges Court of Appeal to review Wontumi conviction
  3. The Chronicle

    The prosecution, led by Deputy Attorney-General, Dr Justice Srem-Sai, however, urged the court to consider the gravity of the offences and the environmental destruction caused by illegal mining.

    Why Wontumi Was Jailed For 20 Years
  4. Joy Online

    The prosecution, led by Deputy Attorney-General Dr Justice Srem-Sai, called four witnesses, including Henry Okum, Michael Ayisi Gyedu, a mineral law expert and a police investigator.

    Court convicts Wontumi on six illegal mining charges over Samreboi concession
  5. Joy Online

    Deputy Attorney-General, Justice Srem-Sai, says the prosecution expects to close its case next week in the ongoing trial involving former National Signals Bureau Director-General, Kwabena Adu-Boahene, and two others.

    AG to close prosecution’s case in Adu-Boahene trial next week
  6. Joy Online

    Deputy Attorney-General and Minister for Justice, Justice Srem-Sai, has confirmed that the prosecution and the accused persons are yet to reach a plea agreement ahead of the expiration of the statutory 30-day period for concluding negotiations.

    No plea deal yet in Wontumi’s EXIM Bank trial – Srem-Sai
  7. Joy Online

    Deputy Attorney-General and Minister for Justice, Justice Srem-Sai, has expressed confidence that justice will be served to both the accused persons and the Republic at the conclusion of the trial involving former Director-General of the Cyber Security Authority, Kwabena Adu-Boah

    Justice will be served to accused persons and Republic – Deputy AG on Adu-Boahene trial
  8. The Chronicle

    According to the affidavit, she later saw a Facebook post by the Deputy Attorney-General alleging that her husband had been arrested over “an attempt to empty his frozen bank accounts.” The applicant, however, denied the allegation, describing it as false and calling on the respo

    Wife of Former NAFCO CEO Files Habeas Corpus Application Over BNI Detention
  9. Former NAFCO CEO's lawyers cite AG for contempt over arrest

    1. Joy Online

      The former Attorney-General also disputed claims by Deputy Attorney-General Dr Justice Srem-Sai that Abdul-Wahab’s arrest was linked to an attempt to access funds in a frozen bank account.

      Godfred Dame questions legality of former NAFCO CEO’s arrest, says access to client was denied
    2. Joy Online

      Lawyers representing Hanan Abdul-Wahab have announced plans to file contempt proceedings against the Attorney-General, the Deputy Attorney-General, and the Director of the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI), accusing them of deliberately breaching a High Court order by orche

      Former NAFCO CEO’s lawyers move to cite AG for contempt over airport arrest
  10. The Chronicle

    Led in evidence by Deputy Attorney-General Justice Srem-Sai, Cromwell identified court-approved freezing orders covering properties allegedly owned by the accused.

    EOCO Investigator Tells Court: Kwabena Adu Boahene’s Wealth Did Not Match His Salary

Yesterday

  1. Solomon Asamoah challenges trial court ruling on Sky Train case

    Businessman Solomon Asamoah has filed applications at the Supreme Court to challenge the trial court's dismissal of his no-case submission in the criminal case over the abandoned Ghana Sky Train project. Both Asamoah and co-accused Prof. Kwame Ameyaw-Akumfi have not filed their defences despite being given 42 days to do so, instead opting to seek a stay of proceedings.

    20 hours ago · Joy Online

Friday 21 August

  1. Oppong Nkrumah contests Deputy AG's claim his court application was false

    The Member of Parliament for Ofoase-Ayirebi disputed the Deputy Attorney General's assertion that his Supreme Court application was based on "deliberate falsehoods," noting that journalists were present and the ruling is public record. The Supreme Court had dismissed his application seeking to halt criminal trials during legal vacation, with the judge finding he had not made a proper case for an interlocutory injunction.

    21 August 2026 · Joy Online

  2. Deputy AG says Oppong Nkrumah misrepresented legal vacation case

    The Deputy Attorney General has accused MP Kojo Oppong Nkrumah and his lawyers of relying on a "deliberate falsehood" in their failed legal challenge to the Chief Justice's directive allowing criminal trials during legal vacation. The Supreme Court dismissed Oppong Nkrumah's injunction application, and the Deputy AG says evidence showed the Chief Justice's warrant was general and not limited to selected cases, contrary to the plaintiff's claim.

    21 August 2026 · Joy Online

Wednesday 19 August

  1. NPP Ashanti Chairman Wontumi bail hearing adjourned to October

    The bail application for NPP Ashanti Regional Chairman Bernard Antwi Boasiako (Chairman Wontumi) has been adjourned to October 15, 2026, after he and his legal team failed to appear before the court. The adjournment was attributed in part to the ongoing annual legal vacation period, during which court activities are reduced.

    19 August 2026 · The Ghanaian Times

  2. Wontumi's bail application hearing adjourned to October 2026

    The bail application of former Ashanti Regional NPP Chairman Bernard Antwi Boasiako (Chairman Wontumi), who is serving a 20-year jail term for illegal mining, has been adjourned to October 15, 2026, after he and his lawyers failed to appear in court.

    19 August 2026 · Joy Online

Tuesday 18 August

  1. Constitution guarantees speedy trials for all cases, lawyer argues

    Joseph Kpemka, lawyer for former NPA chief executive Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, told JoyNews that the Constitution guarantees expeditious trials for all cases, not selected ones, and criticized Deputy Attorney-General Justice Srem-Sai's comments on PM Express as an erroneous interpretation that reinforces concerns about selective justice.

    18 August 2026 · Joy Online

  2. Two witnesses in Wontumi case placed under police protection

    Two key prosecution witnesses in the case of former Ashanti Regional NPP Chairman Bernard Antwi Boasiako have been placed under police protection following death threats that intensified after his conviction. Deputy Attorney General Dr Justice Srem-Sai disclosed that the witnesses, police investigators, and members of his legal team have all received threats.

    18 August 2026 · Joy Online

  3. Deputy AG reports death threats surge after Wontumi conviction

    Deputy Attorney General Dr Justice Srem-Sai says death threats against him, prosecution witnesses and investigators have increased since the conviction of NPP Chairman Bernard Antwi Boasiako. The threats have targeted the two star witnesses and police investigators involved in the case.

    18 August 2026 · Joy Online

  4. Deputy AG criticises GBA's legal vacation court interpretation

    Deputy Attorney General Dr Justice Srem-Sai has rejected the Ghana Bar Association's position on legal vacation, calling the interpretation "bizarre" and "not workable." He argued that vacation judges are entitled to their own vacation time after working during the August–September court closure and can hear substantive cases from their own courts, not only motions and urgent matters.

    18 August 2026 · Joy Online

Monday 17 August

  1. Deputy AG defends NDC speedy trials push as constitutional duty

    Deputy Attorney General Dr Justice Srem-Sai has defended the government's push for speedy trials, arguing that the NDC's position aligns with constitutional requirements that accused persons have cases determined without undue delay. He rejected claims that the government was manipulating the legal vacation to secure favourable outcomes in cases involving former government officials.

    17 August 2026 · Joy Online

  2. Deputy AG defends speedy trials amid justice manipulation allegations

    Deputy Attorney General Justice Srem-Sai has challenged critics who claim the government's pursuit of quick trials manipulates justice for partisan ends, arguing that speed alone does not pervert justice. He defended the use of vacation judges to hear cases during legal vacation, saying they are entitled to handle urgent matters while on break.

    17 August 2026 · Joy Online

  3. Deputy AG rejects bar association stance on vacation court trials

    Deputy Attorney General Dr Justice Srem-Sai has rejected claims that criminal trials should not be conducted during the legal vacation without lawyers' consent, arguing that allowing lawyers to determine when cases are heard would undermine the judiciary's purpose. He disputed the Ghana Bar Association's interpretation as unworkable, saying it would leave vacation judges unable to hear cases for months.

    17 August 2026 · Joy Online

  4. Aksa case should be handled by OSP, not EOCO – MP

    The Manhyia South MP says the Aksa bribery case should fall within the mandate of the Office of the Special Prosecutor rather than the Economic and Organised Crime Office, arguing the OSP was established to prosecute public officers and politically exposed persons. The Deputy Attorney General has defended allowing EOCO to lead the investigation, citing possible money laundering offences that extend beyond bribery and corruption.

    17 August 2026 · Joy Online

  5. Deputy AG warns against EOCO-OSP turf war over Aksa investigation

    Deputy Attorney General Justice Srem-Sai has cautioned against the Aksa Energy bribery investigation becoming a turf war between Ghana's anti-corruption agencies, stating that EOCO is the current lead agency and emphasising that agencies have complementary responsibilities and can collaborate where necessary.

    17 August 2026 · Joy Online

  6. EOCO leads AKSA bribery probe due to money laundering allegations

    Deputy Attorney General Dr Justice Srem-Sai explained that EOCO, rather than the Office of the Special Prosecutor, is leading Ghana's local investigation into the AKSA bribery scandal because the case involves money laundering and other offences that fall within EOCO's mandate rather than OSP's. He dismissed suggestions the decision was meant to avoid OSP scrutiny, stating that investigative bodies have different legal mandates and may collaborate as needed.

    17 August 2026 · Joy Online

  7. Cancelling AKSA deal hastily risks judgment debt, Deputy AG warns

    Deputy Attorney General Dr Justice Srem-Sai has cautioned against immediate cancellation of the AKSA power contract following a former Goldman Sachs banker's bribery conviction in the US, saying the government must first undertake a comprehensive review of the agreement to establish legal grounds for termination to avoid exposing the state to judgment debt. He added that bribery and fraud are distinct legal concepts, and that invalidating the contract would require evidence-based investigations establishing fraud.

    17 August 2026 · Joy Online

  8. Deputy AG assures public President Mahama will not protect AKSA scandal officials

    Deputy Attorney General Dr Justice Srem-Sai has assured the public that President Mahama will not shield anyone implicated in the AKSA bribery scandal or conceal evidence. The assurance follows the US conviction of former Goldman Sachs banker and TOR Managing Director Kwaku Asante Berko in connection with a bribery scheme involving payments of more than US$1 million to Ghanaian government officials for a power plant project approval.

    17 August 2026 · Joy Online

  9. Adu-Boahene trial adjourned pending Supreme Court injunction decision

    The Accra High Court has adjourned the trial of former NSB Director-General Kwabena Adu-Boahene and his wife to August 25, pending the Supreme Court's determination of an injunction application that seeks to restrain the High Court from hearing the case during legal vacation.

    17 August 2026 · Joy Online

Friday 14 August

  1. Prime Insight to examine legal vacation and Goldman Sachs bribery issues

    Joy Online reports that Prime Insight, a current affairs programme, will on Saturday, August 15, examine two legal and governance issues: the controversy over whether trials can proceed during the legal vacation, and the conviction of former Goldman Sachs banker Asante Kwaku Berko in the United States. The two-hour programme will bring together political and legal voices to discuss their implications for Ghana's justice system and anti-corruption efforts.

    14 August 2026 · Joy Online

  2. NPP joins four others in Supreme Court presidential term limit suits

    The New Patriotic Party has filed a case challenging Ghana's constitutional provisions on presidential term limits before the Supreme Court, bringing the total number of pending cases on the issue to five. The NPP suit follows four individual cases filed between December 2025 and July 2026, and comes after the government proposed changes to Ghana's presidential term limits framework.

    14 August 2026 · Joy Online

Wednesday 12 August

  1. Former deputy attorney general backs NPP selectivity claims

    Former Deputy Attorney General Alfred Tuah-Yeboah has endorsed the NPP's concern that the judiciary is applying "selective justice" by allowing substantive hearings in cases involving some of its former officials during legal vacation while other cases remain adjourned. Tuah-Yeboah argued the concern stems from apparent disparity in case treatment during the vacation period, not solely political affiliation.

    12 August 2026 · Joy Online

  2. Judges may hear substantive cases during vacation with lawyer consent

    Former Deputy Attorney General Alfred Tuah-Yeboah said judges can hear substantive cases during legal vacation if the lawyers involved are consulted and have no objection, adding that the practice of having judges sit during vacation predates Ghana's independence and is traditionally reserved for urgent matters like bail and injunctions.

    12 August 2026 · Joy Online

  3. Hanan Abdul-Wahab wife's trial adjourned to August after counsel absences

    The High Court in Accra adjourned the criminal case of former NAFCO CEO Hanan Abdul-Wahab Aludiba and his wife Faiza Seidu Wuni to August 17, 2026, after lawyers for both accused failed to appear in court. The Deputy Attorney-General questioned explanations for the absences, noting that lead counsel had previously indicated unavailability during legal vacation and requesting medical evidence.

    12 August 2026 · Joy Online

  4. Hanan explains absent lawyer Dame is ill, in hospital

    Former NAFCO CEO Hanan Abdul-Wahab told the Accra High Court on Wednesday that his lead counsel, former Attorney-General Godfred Yeboah Dame, is unwell and receiving medical attention, explaining the lawyer's absence from proceedings. Dame had previously objected to the court's decision to hear the criminal case during the legal vacation period.

    12 August 2026 · Joy Online

  5. Kpebu calls for GBA-judges negotiations on vacation court dispute

    Private lawyer Martin Kpebu has urged the Ghana Bar Association and the Association of Judges and Magistrates to negotiate a resolution to their disagreement over court proceedings during the legal vacation, following the Chief Justice's refusal to defer cases where lawyers cited prior commitments during the period.

    12 August 2026 · Joy Online

Tuesday 11 August

  1. Defence counsel absence could block Adu-Boahene trial continuation

    Legal practitioner Samson Lardy Anyenini has questioned whether the criminal trial of former National Signals Bureau Director Kwabena Adu-Boahene can continue if his defence lawyer is unavailable during the legal vacation. Adu-Boahene's lead counsel Samuel Atta Akyea stayed away from court on Tuesday, citing the traditional right of lawyers to rest during vacation.

    11 August 2026 · Joy Online

  2. Deputy AG: GBA seeks to convert legal vacation accommodation into lawyers' right

    The Deputy Attorney-General says the Ghana Bar Association is attempting to turn a traditional accommodation granted to lawyers during legal vacation into a right to determine which cases should be heard by courts, arguing that decisions on whether substantive matters are heard during vacation remain within judges' discretion.

    11 August 2026 · Joy Online

  3. Deputy Attorney-General warns lawyers' vacation court boycott harms accused persons

    Dr Justice Srem-Sai, Deputy Attorney-General and Minister for Justice, has expressed concern that lawyers boycotting vacation court proceedings may be failing their clients, particularly in criminal cases where accused persons have a constitutional right to legal representation. He worried that lawyers avoiding court for reasons related to the dispute over vacation sittings could leave clients vulnerable and deprive them of effective legal representation.

    11 August 2026 · Joy Online

  4. Defence lawyer denies using legal vacation to delay NSB trial

    Samuel Atta Akyea, lead counsel for former National Signals Bureau Director-General Kwabena Adu-Boahene, rejected accusations from the Deputy Attorney-General that the defence is using tactics including legal vacation to slow the trial, stating the defence has consistently attended court and wants justice upheld.

    11 August 2026 · Joy Online

  5. Judge warns defendants to secure lawyers or self-represent in trial

    A High Court judge in Accra has given former NSB Director-General Kwabena Adu-Boahene and his wife six days to secure their lawyers' presence for their trial's continuation on August 17, warning that if they appear without counsel, they must personally cross-examine the prosecution witness or the witness will be discharged. The defendants appeared without their legal team on August 11, citing the legal vacation.

    11 August 2026 · Joy Online

Dr Justice Srem-Sai — Ghanaian press coverage · Ghana Minute