Ghana Minute.
Sunday, 23 August 2026
Ghana’s news, on the hour · Est. 2026
Sunday, 23 August 2026
Accra—:—London—:—New York—:—Beijing—:—
Ghanaian press · Person

Folarin Balogun

United States striker who received a suspended one-match ban after being sent off during the World Cup.

2026-06-132026-08-23

In coverage

Verbatim sentences from the source article.

  1. July 2026
  2. Daily Guide

    It was a largely lethargic display by the US who had star striker Folarin Balogun in their starting line-up after President Donald Trump had asked FIFA to review his ban following his red card in the previous round.

    US Exits World Cup
  3. The Ghanaian Times

    Charles De Ketelaere scored twice, Hans Vanaken punished a goalkeeping howler, and substitute Romelu Lukaku added a fourth to settle a last-16 clash that had been overshadowed by the pre-match uproar surrounding US striker Folarin Balogun.

    Belgium cut USA to size, set up Spain showdown
  4. The Ghanaian Times

    Former Liverpool manager, Jurgen Klopp, has joined calls for Gianni Infantino to resign over the Folarin Balogun saga at the World Cup.

    Infantino faces calls to resign
  5. Joy Online

    Belgium midfielder Nicolas Raskin said his team felt a “sense of injustice” when Fifa suspended United States striker Folarin Balogun’s one-match ban shortly before their World Cup last-16 match.

    ‘Overturn this’ – Belgium taunt US and say Trump move fired them up
  6. Joy Online

    It was a largely lethargic display by the US who had star striker Folarin Balogun in their starting line-up after President Donald Trump had asked Fifa to review his ban following his red card in the previous round.

    US limp out of World Cup as Belgium reach quarter-finals
  7. Joy Online

    The FA is considering its options after United States star striker Folarin Balogun had a red card overturned following intervention from US President Donald Trump.

    FA considering appeal after Quansah red card
  8. Joy Online

    President Donald Trump has confirmed he asked Fifa to review United States striker Folarin Balogun’s one-match suspension at the World Cup.

    Trump confirms he asked Fifa to review Balogun ban
  9. Joy Online

    FIFA President Gianni Infantino has defended the independence of the world football governing body’s judicial structures following public debate over the suspension of United States forward Folarin Balogun.

    Infantino defends FIFA Disciplinary Committee’s independence after Trump call over Balogun red card Ban
  10. Joy Online

    President Donald Trump said Monday that he personally asked FIFA chief Gianni Infantino to review the decision to give a red card and one-game ban to Team USA star striker Folarin Balogun — a remarkable intervention that sparked a torrent of controversy at the World Cup.

    ‘I didn’t think it was a foul’: Trump says he asked FIFA president for review of controversial red card
  11. Joy Online

    President Donald Trump has confirmed he asked FIFA to review United States striker Folarin Balogun’s one-match suspension at the World Cup.

    Trump confirms he asked Fifa to review Balogun ban

Tuesday 18 August

  1. Premier League chief criticises FIFA plan, calls self-inflicted wound

    Premier League chief Richard Masters has criticised FIFA president Gianni Infantino's now-abandoned plan to create a company managing World Cup commercial and ticketing rights with 21% sold to private investors, calling it a "self-inflicted wound." Masters backed the FA's withdrawal of support for Infantino and called for a new unity candidate for FIFA president.

    18 August 2026 · Joy Online

Friday 7 August

  1. Norway calls for Infantino's resignation; Mexico and Argentina back FIFA president

    Norway's Football Federation has called on FIFA president Gianni Infantino to resign, citing lack of institutional trust and concerns over World Cup privatization, tournament awards, and other governance issues. Mexico and Argentina have voiced their support for the 56-year-old, while England, Wales, Croatia, and Albania have withdrawn support without explicitly demanding his resignation.

    7 August 2026 · Joy Online

Wednesday 5 August

  1. Infantino apologises for competition sale plan, retains FIFA presidency

    FIFA president Gianni Infantino apologised for "errors" in controversial proposals to sell stakes in competitions to private investors, but retained his position after receiving backing from FIFA's management board at a meeting in Morocco. UEFA and others had criticised the Fifa Forward Enterprise proposal as opaque, but Infantino and secretary general Mattias Grafstrom sent a letter to FIFA members sincerely apologising and committing that such errors "will not happen again."

    5 August 2026 · Joy Online

Tuesday 4 August

  1. Pochettino extends US men's football manager deal until 2030

    Mauricio Pochettino has agreed to continue as manager of the United States men's team until 2030, with an expanded remit that includes advising on youth development, coaching education, and technical matters across US Soccer.

    4 August 2026 · Joy Online

Thursday 30 July

  1. FIFA offers $40m to nations backing competitive asset-sale plan

    FIFA president Gianni Infantino has written to 211 member associations offering $40m if they back his plan to sell stakes in major competitions, including the World Cup, with a 19 September deadline for access to an initial $20m. UEFA accused FIFA of using football to enrich themselves and their friends.

    30 July 2026 · Joy Online

Wednesday 29 July

  1. FIFA plans to sell stakes in World Cup to private investors

    FIFA announced plans to sell off stakes in its football competitions, including the World Cup, to private investors associated with US President Donald Trump, which Infantino characterizes as democratisation of football but which has met criticism from fans, politicians and regional governing bodies. The plan would distribute $40m in funding to FIFA member associations, with a deadline of 19 September for federations to accept in order to access an initial $20m.

    29 July 2026 · Joy Online

  2. FIFA offers $40m for nations to back competition stake plan

    FIFA president Gianni Infantino has written to all 211 member associations offering $40m in exchange for backing his plan to sell stakes in major competitions like the World Cup through a new commercial subsidiary. The plan, which could raise $10bn and has drawn quick condemnation from multiple regions, sets a 19 September deadline for nations to accept and receive an initial $20m.

    29 July 2026 · Joy Online

  3. UEFA may discuss World Cup boycott over FIFA investment plan

    FIFA's proposal to create a commercial subsidiary to run major competitions including the World Cup and sell stakes to external investors has prompted UEFA's 55 member associations to call an emergency meeting to discuss a potential plan of action, including the possibility of a boycott.

    29 July 2026 · Joy Online

Monday 27 July

  1. Infantino dismisses FIFA critics via social media post

    FIFA president Gianni Infantino told critics to "meditate, pray or watch a football match" instead of spreading criticism about his leadership and the World Cup. He claimed FIFA delivered the "greatest event on earth" and praised the 2026 tournament's safety and unity, including Iran's participation, contradicting accounts from Iran's head coach who said his team were the "most oppressed" at the World Cup.

    27 July 2026 · Joy Online

Sunday 26 July

  1. IOC declines to investigate FIFA president Infantino complaint

    The International Olympic Committee says a complaint by human rights group FairSquare about FIFA president Gianni Infantino breaching the Olympic Charter's political neutrality rules falls outside its scope and will not be investigated. The complaint alleged Infantino showed support for US President Donald Trump after Trump intervened to suspend a red card given to a US footballer during the World Cup.

    26 July 2026 · Joy Online

Friday 24 July

  1. Norway considers FIFA ethics complaint over Balogun suspension

    The Norwegian Football Federation is considering filing a formal complaint to FIFA's ethics committee over the suspension of Folarin Balogun's one-match ban, which was suspended for 12 months after US President Donald Trump's intervention. Federation president Lise Klaveness said the decision to include the Balogun case in an existing inquiry about FIFA's peace prize award to Trump would be made at the federation's next board meeting.

    24 July 2026 · The Ghanaian Times

  2. Norway weighs FIFA ethics complaint over Balogun ban suspension

    The Norwegian Football Federation is considering filing a formal complaint to FIFA's ethics committee over the decision to suspend US forward Folarin Balogun's automatic one-match ban after he received a straight red card, following an intervention by US President Donald Trump. The federation will decide on filing the complaint at its next board meeting.

    24 July 2026 · Joy Online

Wednesday 22 July

  1. UEFA chief boycotts World Cup final in FIFA protest

    UEFA head Aleksander Ceferin skipped the World Cup final to protest FIFA's decisions, including suspending a red card for a US striker after President Trump's intervention and its handling of referee and team treatment issues during the tournament.

    22 July 2026 · The Ghanaian Times

  2. La Liga president calls for Infantino to step down as Fifa chief

    La Liga president Javier Tebas has called for Fifa president Gianni Infantino to resign, claiming the world governing body is "destroying the football industry" and criticising his decisions on World Cup hydration breaks, the final's half-time interval, and other matters. Tebas acknowledged that Infantino has the support of national federations and that Fifa's election system makes his departure unlikely.

    22 July 2026 · The Chronicle

  3. La Liga president calls for FIFA's Infantino to step down

    La Liga president Javier Tebas has called for FIFA president Gianni Infantino to resign, claiming FIFA is "destroying the football industry" and criticising decisions including World Cup hydration breaks and the final's half-time interval. Tebas acknowledged that Infantino has support from national federations and is expected to be re-elected at FIFA's March congress.

    22 July 2026 · Joy Online

Tuesday 21 July

  1. UEFA president skips World Cup final over FIFA governance disputes

    UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin did not attend the World Cup final between Argentina and Spain in protest against FIFA decisions, citing issues including US President Donald Trump's intervention in a suspension case and other changes driven by FIFA president Gianni Infantino such as extended half-time shows and a proposed 64-team World Cup format.

    21 July 2026 · Joy Online

Tuesday 14 July

  1. Balogun acknowledges controversy from World Cup ban waiver

    United States striker Folarin Balogun says he expected FIFA's decision to suspend his one-game World Cup ban would generate "a lot of controversy," particularly after US President Donald Trump and White House officials lobbied football's governing body about the sanction. Balogun was dismissed for serious foul play against Bosnia-Herzegovina and should have received an automatic suspension, but FIFA's disciplinary committee suspended the ban for a year instead.

    14 July 2026 · Joy Online

Sunday 12 July

  1. Fifa disciplinary head refuses to explain Balogun ban decision

    The head of Fifa's disciplinary committee declined to answer BBC questions about why US striker Folarin Balogun avoided a ban after being sent off for serious foul play, following reports that US President Donald Trump and White House officials lobbied Fifa on the matter. England's Jarell Quansah was handed a two-match ban for a similar red card offence in the same competition.

    12 July 2026 · Joy Online

Friday 10 July

  1. Spain's 35-match unbeaten run faces Belgium quarter-final test

    Spain face Belgium in a World Cup quarter-final with Spain unbeaten in 35 matches under manager Luis de la Fuente, while Belgium advance after a 4-1 victory over the United States.

    10 July 2026 · The Ghanaian Times

Thursday 9 July

  1. England's Quansah banned two games after Mexico red card

    England defender Jarell Quansah received a two-match ban from Fifa's disciplinary committee for his red card in the 54th minute of a 3-2 win against Mexico, classified as serious foul play. He will miss Saturday's quarter-final against Norway and a potential semi-final, but will be available if England reaches the final on 19 July.

    9 July 2026 · Joy Online

Wednesday 8 July

  1. Belgium beats US 4–1 in World Cup knockout stage

    Belgium defeated the United States 4–1, with Charles de Ketelaere scoring twice, knocking out the US as the third co-host eliminated from the World Cup. Belgium will face Spain in the quarter-finals in Los Angeles on Friday.

    8 July 2026 · Daily Guide

  2. Belgium defeats USA 4-1 in World Cup last-16

    Belgium thrashed the United States 4-1 in a World Cup knockout match, with Charles De Ketelaere scoring twice, Hans Vanaken and Romelu Lukaku adding further goals to set up a quarterfinal against Spain and end the US campaign.

    8 July 2026 · The Ghanaian Times

  3. Infantino faces resignation calls over Balogun World Cup suspension

    Jurgen Klopp and other figures have called for FIFA president Gianni Infantino to resign after the USA's Folarin Balogun, who was sent off in an earlier match, had his ban suspended by a FIFA disciplinary committee following reported intervention from Donald Trump. Klopp criticized the decision as political interference in football governance.

    8 July 2026 · The Ghanaian Times

Tuesday 7 July

  1. Belgium beats US 4-1 after Balogun ban controversy

    Belgium defeated the United States 4-1 in a World Cup last-16 match after Fifa suspended striker Folarin Balogun's automatic one-match ban shortly before the tie, a decision that drew criticism from Uefa, Belgium and England manager Thomas Tuchel, and others. Belgium players said the ruling gave them a sense of injustice that motivated their response on the pitch.

    7 July 2026 · Joy Online

  2. Belgium beat US 4-1 to reach World Cup quarter-finals

    Charles de Ketelaere scored twice as Belgium defeated the United States 4-1, knocking out the last remaining co-host from the World Cup. Belgium will face Spain in the quarter-finals in Los Angeles on Friday.

    7 July 2026 · Joy Online

Monday 6 July

  1. FA considers appeal of Quansah red card after Balogun precedent

    The Football Association is considering whether to appeal England defender Jarell Quansah's red card from Sunday's 3-2 World Cup win over Mexico after the United States successfully had striker Folarin Balogun's suspension overturned through Fifa's article 27 clause, which allows the governing body to make decisions without meeting other criteria.

    6 July 2026 · Joy Online

  2. Trump confirms request to FIFA for Balogun ban review

    President Trump confirmed he asked FIFA to review US striker Folarin Balogun's one-match World Cup suspension, which was suspended for 12 months, allowing Balogun to play in the last-16 tie against Belgium. Trump said he spoke to FIFA president Gianni Infantino and that he didn't believe the red card was a foul, but stressed he only asked for a review and did not pressure FIFA to make the decision.

    6 July 2026 · Joy Online

  3. FIFA chief defends judicial independence after Trump call on Balogun ban

    FIFA President Gianni Infantino defended the independence of FIFA's judicial structures following public debate over United States forward Folarin Balogun's suspension, confirming he spoke with President Trump about the matter but stressing that FIFA's disciplinary decisions are handled independently and cannot be influenced by external pressure.

    6 July 2026 · Joy Online

  4. Trump says he asked FIFA to review Balogun red card decision

    President Trump said he personally asked FIFA chief Gianni Infantino to review the red card and one-game ban given to Team USA striker Folarin Balogun, saying he did not think it was a foul. FIFA subsequently announced Balogun would be eligible to play against Belgium, sparking controversy about tournament integrity.

    6 July 2026 · Joy Online

  5. Trump confirms request to FIFA on Balogun suspension review

    President Donald Trump confirmed he asked FIFA to review US striker Folarin Balogun's one-match World Cup suspension, saying the governing body "made the right decision" to suspend the ban. Balogun, the US team's top scorer at the tournament, was cleared to play in the last-16 tie against Belgium after FIFA suspended his automatic one-game ban for 12 months on Monday.

    6 July 2026 · Joy Online

Folarin Balogun — Ghanaian press coverage · Ghana Minute