… The protest was led by the anti-migrant group March and March, which has been at the forefront of calls for undocumented migrants to leave South Africa, and many chased after her car as she left the courthouse. …
… Police confirmed that Andile Mvuyelwa Somgxada, the Gauteng province leader of March and March, was shot outside his home east of Johannesburg earlier this month and died several days later in hospital. …
… Police confirmed that Andile Mvuyelwa Somgxada, the Gauteng province leader of March and March, was shot outside his home east of Johannesburg earlier this month and died several days later in hospital. …
… Her group, March and March, has painted undocumented immigrants as the source of South Africa’s economic problems and is demanding tighter border controls, mass deportation, and for schools and health centres to serve South Africans first. …
… The violence has been driven largely by the “March and March” movement, which issued an ultimatum for undocumented migrants to leave the country or face consequences, though the demand carries no legal basis. …
… Tuesday’s demonstrations were organised around a self-declared “30 June deadline” set by the civic group March and March, led by Jacinta Ngobese-Zuma, first announced in December 2025 as notice for undocumented foreigners to leave South Africa. …
Chidimma Adetshina, 25, a beauty queen facing deportation from South Africa after being declared a prohibited person in 2024, asserts she was born in the country and has applied through legal channels to have her citizenship determined. Her detention hearing was postponed until next year, as protesters called for her deportation.
Chidimma Adetshina, 25, a beauty queen facing deportation from South Africa after being declared a prohibited person in 2024, asserts she was born in the country and has applied through legal channels to have her citizenship determined. Her detention hearing was postponed until next year, as protesters called for her deportation.
Xenophobic protests drove thousands of migrant workers from South Africa, leaving clothing factories in KwaZulu-Natal with unfilled vacancies; factory owners reported losing 12–19% of their workforce, and said few locals were willing to take the low-paying jobs.
Weeks after xenophobic protests driven by anti-immigrant group March and March forced migrant workers to flee South Africa, clothing factories in Newcastle and other areas have struggled to fill vacancies, with three factories reporting losses of between 12% and 19% of their workforce. Local manufacturers say few South Africans are willing to take the low-paying jobs, though there have also been unfilled positions in sugarcane fields.
Ghana's Foreign Affairs Minister confirmed that two Ghanaians were killed in renewed xenophobic attacks in South Africa—Bashiru Isaac, 44, in Khayelitsha, Cape Town, and Kojo Antwi in Prieska on July 18. The government has lodged a formal protest with South African authorities and said it would pursue justice for the victims through diplomatic and legal channels.
A special police team has begun investigating the shooting death of Andile Mvuyelwa Somgxada, Gauteng province leader of the anti-migrant group March and March. The group's spokesperson described the killing as retaliation for the movement's campaign to remove undocumented migrants, and said other leaders have received threats.
A special multidisciplinary police team has begun investigating the shooting death of Andile Mvuyelwa Somgxada, Gauteng province leader of the anti-migrant group March and March, who was shot outside his home east of Johannesburg in July and died in hospital. The group's spokesperson told the BBC they believe he was targeted in retaliation for the movement's campaign against undocumented migrants, and that other leaders have received death threats.
Anti-immigration groups in South Africa seized foreigners from homes in Johannesburg and handed them to police, including a woman and child from Malawi, while another apprehended man claimed to hold a legal Zimbabwean Exemption Permit. The protests, which included door-to-door searches and marches in multiple cities, reflect a surge in anti-immigrant sentiment amid high unemployment.
A 40-year-old Ghanaian national was shot dead in Cape Town on Monday amid South Africa's escalating xenophobic demonstrations, prompting Ghana's Foreign Affairs Ministry to lodge a formal diplomatic protest and demand investigation and prosecution.
A Ghanaian tailor was shot dead in his Cape Town shop on June 30, 2026, during violent demonstrations targeting foreign nationals linked to South Africa's anti-immigration campaign. The Ghana High Commission confirmed the death and is arranging repatriation of the body for burial.
Anti-immigrant protesters marched across South African cities on Tuesday, marking a deadline they set for undocumented migrants to leave, prompting thousands of African foreign nationals to flee ahead of the demonstrations. At least four people have been killed and thousands of foreigners driven from homes with property vandalized, amid months of unrest that has drawn international condemnation.
The Ghana High Commission in Pretoria has advised Ghanaians in South Africa to remain vigilant and take precautionary measures ahead of planned protest activities expected on June 30, urging them to stay indoors, close businesses where necessary, and avoid unnecessary movement in areas where demonstrations may occur.
Thousands of Malawian and Zimbabwean migrants are attempting to leave South Africa before nationwide anti-immigrant protests scheduled for June 30, fearing violence. The country has experienced xenophobic protests and attacks in recent weeks, prompting the government and police to deploy security measures while appealing for peaceful conduct.
Thousands of Malawian and Zimbabwean migrants are seeking to leave South Africa before nationwide anti-immigrant protests on June 30, fearing violence. South Africa has experienced xenophobic protests and attacks in recent weeks, prompting many foreigners to flee.
Xenophobia in South Africa is part of a broader pattern across African countries including Ghana, Nigeria, Gabon, and Mauritania turning against fellow Africans during times of tension. Recent anti-immigration campaigns in South Africa, including confrontations with migrant workers and calls for undocumented migrants to leave, prompted President Cyril Ramaphosa to announce stricter immigration enforcement measures.
An opinion piece argues that xenophobic attacks on fellow Africans in South Africa highlight a deeper problem: African nations invoking colonial-era borders to justify exclusion, fragmenting continental identity and undermining collective African potential. The author questions where Africans should "go" if expelled, pointing to pre-colonial African mobility and suggesting history demands a reckoning with imposed territorial divisions.
The Chronicle argues that violence against Africans in South Africa, including June 30 ultimatums by vigilante groups, reflects the continent's troubling invocation of colonial borders to justify exclusion. The piece contends that pre-colonial Africa saw free movement and trade across cultural lines, and questions whether modern territorial divisions should override continental solidarity.
A Daily Guide opinion piece critiques xenophobic violence against African migrants in South Africa, arguing that colonial-imposed borders have created artificial divisions that contradict Africa's pre-colonial history of movement and trade across cultural spaces rather than rigid territorial lines.
A Joy Online opinion piece argues that xenophobic violence in South Africa—where vigilante groups have set June 30 ultimatums for Africans to leave—exposes the artificial nature of colonial borders and risks entrenching the continental fragmentation imposed during colonialism rather than enabling the unity Africans seek.
As anti-migrant protests set a 30 June deadline for undocumented migrants to leave South Africa, hundreds of foreign nationals—mainly Malawians—have fled their homes following violent intimidation by groups carrying weapons. Migrants report door-to-door attacks and are gathering in makeshift settlements seeking refuge.
Princess Adjei, a 33-year-old Ghanaian who moved to South Africa as a toddler, lost her hair salon and apartment during an anti-migrant march in Durban but says she has no plans to leave, as South Africa is the only place she has ever called home.
Princess Adjei, who moved to South Africa from Ghana as a toddler and spent her entire life there, saw her hair salon looted during May anti-migrant demonstrations. She and her 14-year-old son are now among scores of long-term residents forced onto the streets after attacks targeting foreign nationals, despite many having legal documentation.
ECOWAS strongly condemned terrorist attacks in Mali last Saturday and called on West African states and security forces to unite against the threat. Ghana's High Commission in South Africa issued a safety advisory to Ghanaian nationals following an ongoing protest in Johannesburg's central business district organised over unemployment and undocumented foreign nationals.