… Berrettini lost to Novak Djokovic in the 2021 Wimbledon final but his career since then has been plagued by numerous injury setbacks – a huge factor in him being yet to add to that sole appearance in a Grand Slam showpiece. …
… Fonseca had twice come back from two sets down to win matches at this year’s French Open, most notably in the third round against 24-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic. …
… With 24-time Grand Slam-winner Novak Djokovic also nearing the end of his illustrious career, fitness was expected to be one of the biggest obstacles to Sinner’s bid for glory. …
One match does not define a man, but the ferocious barrage Stan Wawrinka unleashed on Novak Djokovic at Roland Garros in 2015 should forever be linked to his name. …
Novak Djokovic danced on the baseline after booking his place in the French Open second round, but his jovial celebration was in stark contrast to the frustrated figure who had to fight from a set down to beat world number 83 Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard. …
Jannik Sinner has broken Novak Djokovic’s all-time record of successive match wins at ATP Masters 1000 tournaments by recording the 32nd straight victory of his historic streak to reach the Italian Open semi-finals. …
Novak Djokovic, aged 39 and tied with Margaret Court for the most Grand Slam singles titles with 24, says he feels he is "imprisoning" himself with constant self-doubt and a drive to be better. In a new Amazon documentary, Djokovic describes himself as "the number one doubter" and notes he is "always looking to be more – better, faster, stronger," while his wife Jelena observes he "carries that burden that he's never enough."
Novak Djokovic, aged 39 and tied with Margaret Court for the most Grand Slam singles titles with 24, says he feels he is "imprisoning" himself with constant self-doubt and a drive to be better. In a new Amazon documentary, Djokovic describes himself as "the number one doubter" and notes he is "always looking to be more – better, faster, stronger," while his wife Jelena observes he "carries that burden that he's never enough."
Defending champion Carlos Alcaraz is set to play at the US Open after missing four months with a right wrist injury sustained at the Barcelona Open in April. The 23-year-old, who won the Australian Open in January to become the youngest man to win all four Grand Slam titles, has not played competitively since 14 April.
Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a cocaine metabolite, in a sample submitted during the Mallorca Open on 22 June and has been provisionally suspended since 4 August. He acknowledged making "a huge mistake" and cannot play, coach at or attend Grand Slams or sanctioned tennis events pending a tribunal outcome.
Novak Djokovic fell to Argentine Thiago Tirante 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 in his opening match at the ATP-WTA Cincinnati Masters on Saturday, struggling with heat and humidity before the US Open begins on August 30.
Britain's Arthur Fery defeated Australia's James Duckworth 6-4 2-6 7-6 (7-4) at the Cincinnati Open, his first match since reaching the Wimbledon semi-finals. Novak Djokovic lost to Argentina's Thiago Tirante 2-6 6-4 6-4 and revealed he has an ongoing health condition, struggling with hot and humid conditions.
Tennis world number one Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the Cincinnati Open due to a right knee injury but expects to be fit for the US Open later this month. Sinner won his fifth Grand Slam singles title at Wimbledon last month and has not played since.
World number one Aryna Sabalenka and 24-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic headline the entry list for the U.S. Open mixed doubles championship, returning for a second edition with a revamped format that proved commercially successful last year.
Novak Djokovic and Aryna Sabalenka will team up for the US Open mixed doubles on 25 August in New York, one of several high-profile pairings confirmed for the revamped two-day event despite earlier suggestions of a boycott by leading players over Grand Slam revenue demands.
Italian top seed Jannik Sinner retained his Wimbledon crown, defeating Alexander Zverev 6-7(7) 7-6(2) 6-3 6-4 in the final to claim his fifth Grand Slam title. Sinner, 24, becomes the first Italian and only the tenth man to successfully defend a Wimbledon singles title in the professional era.
Jannik Sinner retained his Wimbledon title, beating Alexander Zverev in Sunday's final, and said the victory felt especially rewarding after his second-round loss to Juan Manuel Cerundolo at the French Open last month. The 24-year-old credited intensive training blocks in the build-up to the grasscourt Grand Slam for his triumph, his fifth major title.
Italy's Jannik Sinner defeated German second seed Alexander Zverev 6-7 (7-9) 7-6 (7-2) 6-3 6-4 to retain his Wimbledon men's singles title, claiming his fifth Grand Slam title overall.
Novak Djokovic defeated Felix Auger-Aliassime 7-6 (12-10) 3-6 6-3 6-7 (4-7) 7-6 (10-4) in a five-hour match at Wimbledon, advancing to a semi-final against defending champion Jannik Sinner. The 39-year-old, bidding for a record 25th Grand Slam title, overcame a first-set leg injury to secure victory.
Novak Djokovic earned his 106th match win at Wimbledon, breaking Roger Federer's all-time record for most men's singles wins at the tournament, after defeating Roman Safiullin 7-6 (8-6) 6-3 3-6 6-3 in the fourth round.
Novak Djokovic defeated China's Wu Yibing 6-4 5-7 6-4 6-4 in the first round at Wimbledon, advancing his bid for a record 25th Grand Slam title. The 39-year-old, who is level with Margaret Court on 24 major titles, said he felt "happy but not the freshest" after the demanding match.
Leading tennis players will expand their protest over prize money at Wimbledon, restricting post-match media appearances to 15 minutes during the first week of the Championships starting Monday, despite a 20% increase in this year's prize money pot. The 15-minute limit is meant to symbolise the 15% of revenue that Grand Slams broadly allocate to prize money.
Canadian authorities denied entry to Ghana midfielder Thomas Partey ahead of the nation's World Cup opener against Panama on June 17, sparking legal and diplomatic controversy. Ghana's foreign affairs ministry and football association protested the exclusion of an unconvicted athlete as unfair and discriminatory, while Canada has cited privacy protocols and FIFA deferred to Canada's sovereignty over its borders.
Canadian authorities denied entry to Ghana's midfielder Thomas Partey ahead of the national team's World Cup match against Panama, sparking legal and diplomatic controversy. Ghana's government and football association have protested, arguing the exclusion of an unconvicted athlete violates the Rule of Law, while Canada has cited privacy protocols and FIFA has deferred to Canada's border sovereignty.
Serena Williams, the 23-time Grand Slam singles champion, is returning to competitive tennis after nearly four years away to compete in doubles at Queen's, saying she has "nothing to prove" and is mainly motivated by the prospect of her daughters seeing her play again.
Alexander Zverev claimed his first Grand Slam title by defeating Flavio Cobolli in a five-set final at the French Open, 1,465 days after suffering a serious ankle injury on the same court in 2022 that required surgery and sidelined him for months.
Alexander Zverev defeated Flavio Cobolli 6-1 4-6 6-4 6-7 (5-7) 6-1 in the French Open final to claim his first Grand Slam title after losing his three previous major finals. The 29-year-old German's victory makes him the first man other than Jannik Sinner or Carlos Alcaraz to win a Grand Slam recently.
Matteo Berrettini quit his quarter-final match against fellow Italian Matteo Arnaldi at the French Open after a hip problem forced him to retire while trailing 5-2 in the second set. The 30-year-old expressed frustration at retiring again, saying he is "tired of retiring" from matches as injury has repeatedly derailed his career since his 2021 Wimbledon final appearance.
Alexander Zverev advanced to the French Open semi-finals with a straight-sets victory over Rafael Jodar, and will next face Czech 26th seed Jakub Mensik for a place in Sunday's final. Zverev, the second seed and highest-ranked man remaining in the singles draw, has never won a Grand Slam despite losing in three finals and seven semi-finals.
Matteo Berrettini reached a Grand Slam quarter-final for the first time in almost four years after defeating Juan Manuel Cerundolo at the French Open. The Italian, who has slipped to 105th in the rankings after injuries, is the lowest-ranked Roland Garros quarter-finalist since Igor Andreev in 2007.
Top-seeded Jannik Sinner suffered an unexpected second-round exit at the French Open after a five-set loss to Juan Manuel Cerundolo, with the Italian struggling with injury-related issues including dizziness during the match in Paris.
Swiss tennis player Stan Wawrinka lost 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-4 to Jesper De Jong in his final French Open on Monday, though he will not officially retire until October's Swiss Indoors in Basel. Wawrinka, 41, called the venue witness to the best match of his life—his 2015 final victory over Novak Djokovic—and wore a memento of the iconic plaid shorts from that performance.
Third seed Novak Djokovic recovered from a set down to defeat Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard 5-7 7-5 6-1 6-4 in the French Open first round, extending his unbeaten record in that stage to 22 matches. Djokovic, who turned 39 on Friday, said his lack of match sharpness was evident as he struggled to read the tall Frenchman's serve.
World number one Aryna Sabalenka and other leading players, including Jannik Sinner and Iga Swiatek, cut their French Open media duties to 15 minutes in protest at prize money allocation, believing players deserve a greater share of Grand Slam tournament revenue than the current 15% offered.
Two-time Wimbledon champion Carlos Alcaraz has withdrawn from this year's Wimbledon and Queen's due to a right wrist injury sustained at Barcelona Open. The Spanish world number two, 23, said his recovery is progressing but he is not yet ready to compete.
Twenty-four-year-old Jannik Sinner won the Italian Open in Rome on Sunday, completing the career Golden Masters – all nine ATP Masters 1000 titles. Sinner is only the second player to achieve the feat, after Novak Djokovic, and has done so at a considerably younger age than Djokovic.
Jannik Sinner recorded his 32nd straight victory at ATP Masters 1000 tournaments, breaking Novak Djokovic's all-time record, by defeating Andrey Rublev 6-2 6-4 in the Italian Open quarter-finals to reach the semi-finals.