… FIFA said it was a “false and misleading” claim and that a decision on where to hold the final, with the tournament also hosted by Spain and Portugal, will be made “in due course”.-BBC Follow our WhatsApp Channel now! …
… However, the 2024 Ballon d’Or winner was back to his best at the World Cup in the summer, leading Spain to their second title and being named player of the tournament. …
Between 3,000 and 5,000 migrants remain in the Spanish territory of Ceuta following the arrival of many times that number of people last week, the north African exclave’s leader has said. …
… The veteran goalkeeper played a key role as his country earned their first-ever World Cup point against Spain and reached the knockout stages, where they pushed eventual finalists Argentina to extra time. …
Scenes from the launch The much-awaited ‘Highlife to the World (H2TW) – The Black Star Experience 2027’ campaign to promote Ghana’s iconic sound across the globe, was officially launched at the Seasea Club in Barcelona, Spain, on August 2, 2026. …
… Fifa said it was a “false and misleading” claim and that a decision on where to hold the final, with the tournament also hosted by Spain and Portugal, will be made “in due course”. …
… The team pulled off shock draws with Spain and Uruguay at the tournament in Canada, Mexico and the United States, before losing to Argentina after extra time in the round of 32.-Reuters Follow our WhatsApp Channel now! …
Argentina midfielder Leandro Paredes has received a 10-match ban from FIFA's disciplinary committee for on-field clashes after Argentina lost 1-0 to Spain in the 2026 World Cup final. Teammate Nahuel Molina was given a seven-match suspension, and the Argentine Football Association was fined $321,000 for breaches including team misconduct and discriminatory chants.
Argentina midfielder Leandro Paredes has received a 10-match ban from FIFA's disciplinary committee for on-field clashes after Argentina lost 1-0 to Spain in the 2026 World Cup final. Teammate Nahuel Molina was given a seven-match suspension, and the Argentine Football Association was fined $321,000 for breaches including team misconduct and discriminatory chants.
Defending champion Carlos Alcaraz is set to play at the US Open after missing four months with a right wrist injury sustained at the Barcelona Open in April. The 23-year-old, who won the Australian Open in January to become the youngest man to win all four Grand Slam titles, has not played competitively since 14 April.
Arsenal have agreed a £51m deal to sign Ezri Konsa from Aston Villa, providing defensive cover while William Saliba recovers from a back injury and Jurriën Timber returns from a groin injury. The 28-year-old, who can play both centre-back and right-back, joins the Premier League champions as manager Mikel Arteta looks to maintain title success.
Premier League chief Richard Masters has criticised FIFA president Gianni Infantino's now-abandoned plan to create a company managing World Cup commercial and ticketing rights with 21% sold to private investors, calling it a "self-inflicted wound." Masters backed the FA's withdrawal of support for Infantino and called for a new unity candidate for FIFA president.
Many Canadians are boycotting travel to the United States in response to tariffs and annexation rhetoric, redirecting spending to Canadian destinations or overseas. The boycott cost the US approximately C$3.3 billion in travel revenue last year, with Canadians making 800,000 fewer trips to the US in April compared to the same month in 2024.
Manchester City have opened advanced negotiations with Lille for Morocco midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi, valued at around €100 million (£85.6m), as they prepare for Spain captain Rodri's departure to Barcelona. The 18-year-old has made 88 appearances for Lille and featured prominently for Morocco at this summer's World Cup.
Manchester City are in advanced talks with Lille to sign Morocco midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi for 100m euros (£85.6m) this week after agreeing to sell Rodri to Barcelona. The Premier League club also remain interested in Chelsea's Enzo Fernandez.
Spain midfielder Rodri has arrived in Barcelona to complete his move from Manchester City for about £65m, signing a four-year contract with the La Liga champions. The 2024 Ballon d'Or winner left City after seven seasons, during which he won 12 major honours.
Deaths more than doubled on the Central Mediterranean and nearly tripled on the Eastern Mediterranean in the first four months of 2026 compared to the same period in 2025, even as overall arrivals to Europe fell sharply, according to the International Organisation for Migration.
Moroccan authorities intercepted more than 100 people seeking to cross into the Spanish exclave of Ceuta, with security sources citing 111 detentions near the town of Fnideq. The operation followed a spike in security after roughly 78,000 migrants arrived in Ceuta by sea a fortnight earlier, and warnings of a planned second mass crossing attempt.
Ferran Torres, who scored Spain's extra-time winner at the World Cup, has joined PSG from Barcelona on a deal until 2031 for approximately 50 million euros. The 26-year-old scored 21 goals in 49 appearances for Barcelona last season and becomes PSG's second major forward signing this summer.
Lionel Messi made a substitute appearance for Inter Miami on Wednesday following the death of his father Jorge at age 68, and has indicated he may retire from football. Messi flew back from Argentina after attending his father's funeral to play in Miami's 3-2 Leagues Cup defeat by Leon.
Chelsea have set a Friday deadline for offers of £120m or more for midfielder Enzo Fernandez, who has sought a move since March after a difficult season. Manchester City are among potential suitors, though it is unclear whether they would meet the player's valuation.
Paris St-Germain have agreed a deal in principle to sign Barcelona forward Ferran Torres for around 50 million euros. Torres, 26, scored 21 goals in 49 appearances for Barcelona last season and helped the club win La Liga.
Lionel Messi said he is having doubts about continuing his career following the death of his father Jorge, aged 68, last week. In an Instagram tribute, Messi expressed uncertainty about his future in football, noting that his father had been by his side from the beginning and had urged him to play in the World Cup.
Morocco's justice minister reiterated Rabat's sovereignty claims over the Spanish North African enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla, the first public assertion of the issue since a border crisis in late July when an estimated 72,000 migrants crossed into Ceuta, killing at least 96 people. Spain's Defence Minister affirmed that Ceuta and Melilla are integral Spanish territory and not open to discussion.
The UK and Europe experienced their most dramatic solar eclipse in nearly 30 years, with millions witnessing the event. The UK saw a partial eclipse with more than 90% of the Sun covered by the Moon, while parts of Greenland, Iceland and Spain experienced a total eclipse.
La Liga officials will inspect Celta Vigo's stadium within 24 hours following a suspected fungus outbreak that has damaged the pitch ahead of the club's scheduled match against Osasuna on Sunday. Celta Vigo has reportedly requested a postponement, though Osasuna are said to be open to playing as scheduled.
Spain's World Cup winner Ferran Torres has been given permission to miss Barcelona training as his move to Paris Saint-Germain nears completion, with the deal likely worth more than £40m. Torres, 26, has one year remaining on his Barcelona contract.
Former Barcelona manager Xavi Hernández has been appointed head coach of the Netherlands, becoming the first non-Dutch coach since Austrian Ernst Happel in 1978. The 46-year-old signed a four-year contract following Ronald Koeman's resignation after the World Cup.
Youri Tielemans completed a move to Manchester United this July after the club triggered a £35m release clause, ending months of interest dating back to 2019. The Belgian midfielder, who credits Aston Villa with restoring his form, described joining United as "a great achievement" and said there are clubs above Villa.
US President Donald Trump said it would be a "terrible mistake" to remove Fifa president Gianni Infantino, whose position has come under pressure following accusations from Uefa, Concacaf and the AFC that he broke trust through deception with a failed Fifa Forward Enterprise proposal.
US President Donald Trump says it would be a "terrible mistake" to remove FIFA president Gianni Infantino, whose position has come under pressure following UEFA, Concacaf, and the Asian Football Confederation's open letter accusing him of breaking trust through his aborted FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal to sell 21% of commercial and ticketing rights to a private investment company.
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has confirmed that centre backs William Saliba and Jurrien Timber will be unavailable for the start of the Premier League season. Saliba is recovering from a back injury sustained while on World Cup duty with France and is in rest mode, while Timber is still weeks away from returning after missing the World Cup with the Netherlands.
Research shows that circadian rhythm and meal timing affect weight loss and metabolic health; studies indicate that eating lunch earlier results in greater weight loss and better blood sugar control than eating the same meals later in the day.
The world's oceans hit their hottest-ever recorded temperatures in July, with average sea surface temperatures reaching 20.96C outside polar regions, partly driven by developing El Niño conditions in the Pacific. Western Europe experienced its hottest-ever June and July, fuelling extreme wildfires, while sea surface temperatures reached record highs along the Atlantic coast and western Mediterranean.
Algeria, Morocco, Cameroon and Malawi have qualified for the 2027 Women's World Cup in Brazil by reaching the semi-finals of the Women's Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco. Four quarter-final losers—Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria and South Africa—can still qualify through intercontinental play-offs in November and December.
Spain has imposed border controls on air and sea travel from Italy, escalating a dispute between the two EU nations following an influx of about 78,000 migrants from Morocco into the Spanish exclave of Ceuta. Italy introduced similar restrictions and says it will maintain them at least until 15 August, citing concerns about onward migration.
Spain will impose border controls on air and sea travel from Italy for one month, escalating a dispute between the two EU countries over an influx of about 78,000 migrants into the Spanish exclave of Ceuta. Italy had introduced similar restrictions following the migrant arrivals, and Rome said it would maintain checks until at least 15 August.