Ghana Minute.
Sunday, 23 August 2026
Ghana’s news, on the hour · Est. 2026
Sunday, 23 August 2026
Accra—:—London—:—New York—:—Beijing—:—
Ghanaian press · Organization

Uefa

UEFA — European football confederation that has criticized FIFA president Infantino and threatened World Cup boycott over governance disputes.

2026-04-282026-08-23

In coverage

Verbatim sentences from the source article.

  1. June 2026
  2. The Ghanaian Times

    Somali referee, Omar Artan, who was barred by the United States from the World Cup was picked on Thursday for the showcase UEFA Super Cup game in August.

    Sacked ref Artan to officiate UEFA Super Cup game
  3. Joy Online

    Somali referee Omar Artan, the World Cup match official refused entry to the United States due to visa issues, has been appointed by UEFA to take charge of the UEFA Super Cup final between Paris Saint-Germain and Aston Villa on Aug.

    Barred World Cup referee Omar Artan to officiate UEFA Super Cup final
  4. May 2026
  5. Joy Online

    Prestianni received a six-game ban from UEFA for homophobic conduct. “If the conversation is friendly, they can continue to do it without any problem,” Collina said.

    Goalkeeper tactical timeouts to be banned at World Cup
  6. The Ghanaian Times

    UEFA has proposed a revamp of qualifying for the 2030 World Cup and 2032 European Championship that could end mismatches between the strongest and weakest teams, with a format similar to the Champions League.

    UEFA to revamp 2030 World Cup, Euro 2032 qualifying group formats
  7. The Ghanaian Times

    Thank you to the confederations and their presidents: the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL, the OFC and UEFA,” the FIFA President added.

    FIFA publishes book on Infantino
  8. Joy Online

    UEFA will create a two-tier qualification process for the 2030 World Cup, which will mean major countries will no longer play minor nations such as San Marino, Gibraltar and Andorra.

    Major-minor nations split in World Cup qualifying
  9. Joy Online

    Meanwhile, Europe’s top leagues have been summoned to a meeting with UEFA in the summer to discuss how VAR technology is being used, with head of UEFA referees Roberto Rosetti saying: “I believe that we forgot the reason why VAR was introduced.”

    Maddison says referees are petrified of decisions
  10. The Ghanaian Times

    German referee, Daniel Siebert, was picked Monday by UEFA for the Champions League final after FIFA left him off its World Cup list.

    German referee Siebert to officiate Arsenal-PSG Champions League final
  11. The Ghanaian Times

    The Benfica player was handed the ban by UEFA following accusations he directed a slur at Real Madrid’s Vinicius Jr during February’s Champions League playoff clash, which Real won 1-0.

    FIFA extends Prestianni ban worldwide, threatening World Cup debut
  12. The Ghanaian Times

    On the eve of the game Arsenal’s fans had organised a loud firework display outside Atletico’s east London ‌hotel prompting ⁠a complaint to UEFA by the Spanish club.- Reuters Follow our WhatsApp Channel now!

    Saka sends Arsenal past Atletico into Champions League final

Thursday 20 August

  1. Mourinho persuaded Vinicius Jr to stay at Real Madrid

    Jose Mourinho told Vinicius Jr it was "not worth" leaving Real Madrid, and the Brazilian signed a six-year contract with the club after entering the final 12 months of his previous deal. Mourinho, appointed to a second stint as Real manager in June, said he advised Vinicius that he would only understand Real Madrid's value once he left it.

    20 August 2026 · The Chronicle

Wednesday 19 August

  1. FIFA chief operating officer sacked after criticizing World Cup plan

    Kevin Lamour, FIFA's chief operating officer, has been dismissed after publicly criticizing Gianni Infantino's plan to sell parts of the World Cup to private investors. Lamour, who had warned that FIFA's administration had been "deceived" and that the plan would be shelved, departed less than two years after joining from UEFA.

    19 August 2026 · Daily Guide

  2. FIFA Chief Operating Officer exits over Infantino criticism

    FIFA announced that Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour has left the organisation weeks after publicly criticising Gianni Infantino's plan to sell a stake in World Cup and tournament commercial rights. Lamour said FIFA staff had been "deceived" over the proposal and described it as "the project of one person," while a senior adviser to Infantino also resigned in protest before Infantino withdrew the plan.

    19 August 2026 · The Ghanaian Times

  3. Fifa dismisses executive over criticism of Infantino's plans

    Fifa has dismissed chief operating officer Kevin Lamour following his public criticism of president Gianni Infantino over a plan to sell stakes in competitions to private investors. Uefa vice-president Laura McAllister has criticized the dismissal as sending a "deeply troubling message" to those seeking change in football governance.

    19 August 2026 · Joy Online

Tuesday 18 August

  1. Premier League chief criticises FIFA plan, calls self-inflicted wound

    Premier League chief Richard Masters has criticised FIFA president Gianni Infantino's now-abandoned plan to create a company managing World Cup commercial and ticketing rights with 21% sold to private investors, calling it a "self-inflicted wound." Masters backed the FA's withdrawal of support for Infantino and called for a new unity candidate for FIFA president.

    18 August 2026 · Joy Online

Friday 14 August

  1. New Zealand withdraws support for FIFA president Infantino re-election

    New Zealand has become the latest nation to withdraw support for FIFA president Gianni Infantino's re-election bid, joining England, Wales, Norway, the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. The withdrawal follows Infantino's aborted plans to sell 20% of the World Cup's commercial rights to private investors, and New Zealand is also seeking an independent review of the FIFA Forward Enterprise Scheme.

    14 August 2026 · Joy Online

Thursday 13 August

  1. FAI and IFA withdraw and withhold support for Infantino

    The Football Association of Ireland has officially withdrawn support for Fifa president Gianni Infantino, while the Irish Football Association backs Uefa's stance. The move follows Uefa, Concacaf, and the Asian Football Confederation accusing Infantino of breaking trust through deception over a failed attempt to sell a stake in Fifa's commercial operations.

    13 August 2026 · Joy Online

  2. Poland confirms women's U-20 World Cup on track

    Poland's football federation said preparations for next month's Under-20 Women's World Cup remain on schedule as the tournament approaches, despite being the first FIFA event held amid a governance dispute over World Cup commercial rights. New Zealand and France have confirmed their participation in the tournament running from September 5 to 27.

    13 August 2026 · The Ghanaian Times

  3. Memphis Depay accuses Corinthians of breaking contract renewal

    Netherlands forward Memphis Depay said Corinthians breached an agreement to extend his contract, which he says was explicitly agreed by the club's president and departments. Corinthians cited financial sustainability concerns for the decision not to renew the 32-year-old's deal.

    13 August 2026 · The Ghanaian Times

  4. Poland confirms U-20 Women's World Cup preparations on track

    Poland said preparations for next month's Under-20 Women's World Cup remain on schedule, amid a governance dispute between UEFA and FIFA over commercial rights. New Zealand and France have confirmed their participation in the tournament, which runs from September 5 to 27.

    13 August 2026 · The Ghanaian Times

Tuesday 11 August

  1. Trump defends Infantino against removal amid FFE controversy

    US President Donald Trump said it would be a "terrible mistake" to remove Fifa president Gianni Infantino, whose position has come under pressure following accusations from Uefa, Concacaf and the AFC that he broke trust through deception with a failed Fifa Forward Enterprise proposal.

    11 August 2026 · Joy Online

  2. UEFA, AFC, CONCACAF rebuke Infantino over World Cup privatisation plan

    Three football confederations have issued a joint letter criticising FIFA President Gianni Infantino over his failed proposal to bring private investment into FIFA competitions, stating that "football belongs to no individual" and calling for an independent review into the stake sale proposal.

    11 August 2026 · The Ghanaian Times

  3. Somali referee Artan to make UEFA Super Cup history

    Somali referee Omar Artan will become the first non-European to referee the UEFA Super Cup tomorrow in Salzburg. The 34-year-old has been a leading African referee, including being named CAF Men's Referee of the Year, though he was barred from entering the United States for the World Cup despite having a valid visa.

    11 August 2026 · The Ghanaian Times

  4. Trump defends FIFA president Infantino amid removal pressure

    US President Donald Trump says it would be a "terrible mistake" to remove FIFA president Gianni Infantino, whose position has come under pressure following UEFA, Concacaf, and the Asian Football Confederation's open letter accusing him of breaking trust through his aborted FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal to sell 21% of commercial and ticketing rights to a private investment company.

    11 August 2026 · Joy Online

Saturday 8 August

  1. Infantino denies affair allegations; UEFA confirms severance payment

    According to a Daily Telegraph investigation, UEFA made a severance payment to a woman with whom FIFA president Gianni Infantino allegedly had a relationship while he was UEFA's general secretary. Infantino's spokesman said he "strongly denies these categorically untrue allegations," while UEFA confirmed the payment covered fees for an MBA course and was in line with regulations at the time.

    8 August 2026 · Joy Online

Friday 7 August

  1. UEFA rejects Infantino apology, maintains FIFA World Cup boycott threat

    UEFA has reiterated its loss of confidence in FIFA President Gianni Infantino and maintained its threat to boycott FIFA competitions, saying that FIFA's public backing of Infantino and the withdrawal of his FIFA Forward Enterprise scheme do not meet the conditions necessary to avert the boycott. UEFA stated it requires both the withdrawal of proposals to sell off major competitions and assurances that such attempts will not be made again.

    7 August 2026 · Daily Guide

  2. Norway calls for Infantino's resignation; Mexico and Argentina back FIFA president

    Norway's Football Federation has called on FIFA president Gianni Infantino to resign, citing lack of institutional trust and concerns over World Cup privatization, tournament awards, and other governance issues. Mexico and Argentina have voiced their support for the 56-year-old, while England, Wales, Croatia, and Albania have withdrawn support without explicitly demanding his resignation.

    7 August 2026 · Joy Online

  3. Infantino apologises for errors, retains FIFA presidency

    FIFA president Gianni Infantino apologised for "errors" in controversial plans to sell competition stakes to private investors but will remain in his position after receiving backing from FIFA's management board in Rabat. UEFA and others had criticised the FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal as an "opaque deal," but Infantino and secretary general Mattias Grafstrom sent a letter to member associations apologising and pledging to prevent similar incidents.

    7 August 2026 · The Ghanaian Times

  4. CAF unanimously backs Infantino amid UEFA boycott threat

    The Confederation of African Football's Executive Committee unanimously confirmed support for FIFA president Gianni Infantino on Thursday, contrasting with opposition from UEFA, which committed to boycotting future World Cups while Infantino remains in office. CAF, which comprises 54 of FIFA's 211 member associations, backs Infantino's March re-election bid, with CAF president Patrice Motsepe welcoming FIFA's pledge to review processes that sparked the controversy over the abandoned World Cup commercial proposal.

    7 August 2026 · Joy Online

Thursday 6 August

  1. UEFA threatens World Cup boycott over Infantino plan

    UEFA says European teams could still boycott competitions including the World Cup, as the governing body maintains its conditions have not been met despite Infantino's scrapped plan to sell World Cup stakes to private investors. The English FA has withdrawn support for Infantino, and UEFA says it has lost confidence in his presidency.

    6 August 2026 · Joy Online

Wednesday 5 August

  1. Infantino retains FIFA presidency after Morocco executive backing

    Gianni Infantino remains FIFA president after receiving support from senior executives at a meeting in Morocco on Wednesday, despite criticism of his proposal to sell commercial and event operations to private investors and a statement from UEFA that it has lost confidence in him.

    5 August 2026 · Joy Online

  2. Infantino apologises for competition sale plan, retains FIFA presidency

    FIFA president Gianni Infantino apologised for "errors" in controversial proposals to sell stakes in competitions to private investors, but retained his position after receiving backing from FIFA's management board at a meeting in Morocco. UEFA and others had criticised the Fifa Forward Enterprise proposal as opaque, but Infantino and secretary general Mattias Grafstrom sent a letter to FIFA members sincerely apologising and committing that such errors "will not happen again."

    5 August 2026 · Joy Online

  3. Infantino convenes executive meeting amid Fifa controversy

    Gianni Infantino, Fifa's president, has called an executive meeting in Morocco after facing widespread criticism of his plan to sell off the organisation's commercial and event operations. Senior Fifa officials including Arsene Wenger, Mattias Grafstrom, and Prince Ali have publicly opposed the Fifa Forward Enterprise proposal.

    5 August 2026 · Joy Online

Monday 3 August

  1. English FA withdraws support for Fifa president Infantino

    The English Football Association is set to withdraw support from Fifa president Gianni Infantino following fallout from his scrapped plans to sell stakes in Fifa competitions to private investors. The move comes as Uefa threatens legal action and Wales withdraws backing for Infantino's bid to remain Fifa president.

    3 August 2026 · Joy Online

Saturday 1 August

  1. UEFA loses confidence in Infantino after scrapped FIFA investment plan

    UEFA says it has lost confidence in Gianni Infantino's FIFA leadership following the withdrawal of a controversial plan to sell stakes in the governing body's competitions to private investors. UEFA had previously voted to boycott World Cups if the plans proceeded, and other governing bodies also opposed the proposal.

    1 August 2026 · Joy Online

Friday 31 July

  1. FIFA president Infantino scraps World Cup investment plan

    FIFA president Gianni Infantino has scrapped a controversial proposal to sell stakes in the governing body's major competitions, including the World Cups, citing divisions it had created. The plan had offered all 211 member associations $40m each to back private investment in tournaments, but faced widespread opposition from UEFA, Concacaf, and the AFC.

    31 July 2026 · Joy Online

  2. FIFA's World Cup privatization plan risks over-commercializing football

    Football administrator Eric Alagidede has opposed FIFA's proposal to sell stakes in World Cup competitions to private investors through a new commercial subsidiary, arguing that excessive commercialization could make the sport unaffordable for ordinary fans and that funds may not be used as intended.

    31 July 2026 · Joy Online

  3. GFA should reject FIFA's World Cup investor plan, says administrator

    Football administrator Eric Alagidede has urged the Ghana Football Association to reject FIFA's plans to sell stakes in World Cup competitions to private investors, warning that the proposal could lead to over-commercialisation of football and make it expensive for fans to watch.

    31 July 2026 · Joy Online

  4. CAF to assess FIFA's World Cup commercial restructuring plan

    The Confederation of African Football will review FIFA's proposal to establish a commercial subsidiary to manage the World Cup and other flagship tournaments, through which FIFA aims to raise $4.2 billion by selling minority stakes valued at $20 billion. If approved, each of FIFA's 211 member associations would receive a one-off payment of $20 million in early 2027 and increased annual development funding from $8 million to $20 million per association, though the plan has faced opposition from UEFA and European officials over commercialisation concerns.

    31 July 2026 · Daily Guide

  5. UEFA members vote to boycott World Cups over privatization plan

    Europe's 55 football associations have voted to boycott World Cups if FIFA proceeds with selling stakes in its competitions to private investors. UEFA states the World Cup "is not for sale" and cannot be treated as an investment product.

    31 July 2026 · Daily Guide

Uefa — Ghanaian press coverage · Ghana Minute