Spain midfielder Gavi does not believe Argentina’s Leandro Paredes should be suspended for his part in the confrontation following the World Cup final. …
… achieved so much in the game and after such an incredible career with Real Madrid and Manchester United I’m delighted that he’s decided to make Miami his next home.” At Miami, Casemiro is set to join former Real and Manchester United team-mate Sergio Reguilon as well as Argentina …
… Taylor was shortlisted to referee the 2022 World Cup final, but was discounted because of political tensions between England and finalists Argentina. …
… UEFA has also, so far, refused to adopt some of FIFA’s World Cup innovations, such as hydration breaks, the “mistaken identity” VAR protocol, which led to the sending off of Breel Embolo in Switzerland’s quarterfinal loss to Argentina, or the cards for players who cover their mou …
… Taylor was shortlisted to referee the 2022 World Cup final, but was discounted because of political tensions between England and finalists Argentina. …
FIFA has opened an investigation into the violent scenes that followed Spain’s World Cup final win on Sunday, with several Argentina players facing bans. …
… The Argentina winger, 21, was made available for sale by Chelsea for £43m last month, but the club are open to a move that could see him leave permanently, under certain conditions, even if it initially takes the form of a loan. …
Midfielder Enzo Fernandez has claimed Argentina represented their nation “in the best possible way” during the World Cup, despite ugly scenes during and after their final loss to Spain. …
… Taylor was shortlisted to referee the 2022 World Cup final, but was discounted because of political tensions between England and finalists Argentina. …
President John Dramani Mahama has expressed disappointment with the United States voting against a UN resolution recognising the transatlantic trafficking of enslaved Africans and racialised chattel enslavement as the gravest crime against humanity. Speaking to TRT World, Mahama said he did not hold the US principally accountable for slavery, noting that most enslaved Africans taken to the United States were transported there by European powers when the US was still a colony, though he acknowledged slavery continued in the US after independence until the Civil War.
President John Dramani Mahama has expressed disappointment with the United States voting against a UN resolution recognising the transatlantic trafficking of enslaved Africans and racialised chattel enslavement as the gravest crime against humanity. Speaking to TRT World, Mahama said he did not hold the US principally accountable for slavery, noting that most enslaved Africans taken to the United States were transported there by European powers when the US was still a colony, though he acknowledged slavery continued in the US after independence until the Civil War.
Argentina midfielder Leandro Paredes has received a 10-match ban from FIFA's disciplinary committee for on-field clashes after Argentina lost 1-0 to Spain in the 2026 World Cup final. Teammate Nahuel Molina was given a seven-match suspension, and the Argentine Football Association was fined $321,000 for breaches including team misconduct and discriminatory chants.
Premier League chief Richard Masters has criticised FIFA president Gianni Infantino's now-abandoned plan to create a company managing World Cup commercial and ticketing rights with 21% sold to private investors, calling it a "self-inflicted wound." Masters backed the FA's withdrawal of support for Infantino and called for a new unity candidate for FIFA president.
Manchester City have opened advanced negotiations with Lille for Morocco midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi, valued at around €100 million (£85.6m), as they prepare for Spain captain Rodri's departure to Barcelona. The 18-year-old has made 88 appearances for Lille and featured prominently for Morocco at this summer's World Cup.
Cristiano Ronaldo told Vogue that this season is probably his last as a footballer after a 25-year career, saying he wants to leave a spectacular legacy and has mapped out post-football plans including family, travel, and padel. The 41-year-old Portugal captain has one year remaining on his Al-Nassr contract and is 24 goals short of 1,000 senior career goals.
Enzo Fernandez was booed by sections of Chelsea supporters when he appeared as a substitute in a 3-1 pre-season win against Real Sociedad, a day after Chelsea's transfer deadline passed with failed moves to Real Madrid and Manchester City. Manager Xabi Alonso showed backing for Fernandez by having Reece James pass him the armband when leaving the field, though the crowd reaction remained mixed.
Ferran Torres, who scored Spain's extra-time winner at the World Cup, has joined PSG from Barcelona on a deal until 2031 for approximately 50 million euros. The 26-year-old scored 21 goals in 49 appearances for Barcelona last season and becomes PSG's second major forward signing this summer.
New Zealand has become the latest nation to withdraw support for FIFA president Gianni Infantino's re-election bid, joining England, Wales, Norway, the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. The withdrawal follows Infantino's aborted plans to sell 20% of the World Cup's commercial rights to private investors, and New Zealand is also seeking an independent review of the FIFA Forward Enterprise Scheme.
Lionel Messi made a substitute appearance for Inter Miami on Wednesday following the death of his father Jorge at age 68, and has indicated he may retire from football. Messi flew back from Argentina after attending his father's funeral to play in Miami's 3-2 Leagues Cup defeat by Leon.
Chelsea have set a Friday deadline for offers of £120m or more for midfielder Enzo Fernandez, who has sought a move since March after a difficult season. Manchester City are among potential suitors, though it is unclear whether they would meet the player's valuation.
Paris St-Germain have agreed a deal in principle to sign Barcelona forward Ferran Torres for around 50 million euros. Torres, 26, scored 21 goals in 49 appearances for Barcelona last season and helped the club win La Liga.
Lionel Messi said he is having doubts about continuing his career following the death of his father Jorge, aged 68, last week. In an Instagram tribute, Messi expressed uncertainty about his future in football, noting that his father had been by his side from the beginning and had urged him to play in the World Cup.
Spain's World Cup winner Ferran Torres has been given permission to miss Barcelona training as his move to Paris Saint-Germain nears completion, with the deal likely worth more than £40m. Torres, 26, has one year remaining on his Barcelona contract.
Ghana's featherweight John 'Expensive' Laryea travels to Buenos Aires to face Adrian Maximiliano Robledo in his 25th professional fight, with coach Carl Lokko confident the victory would aid his championship ambitions and WBA ranking climb.
US President Donald Trump said it would be a "terrible mistake" to remove Fifa president Gianni Infantino, whose position has come under pressure following accusations from Uefa, Concacaf and the AFC that he broke trust through deception with a failed Fifa Forward Enterprise proposal.
Three football confederations have issued a joint letter criticising FIFA President Gianni Infantino over his failed proposal to bring private investment into FIFA competitions, stating that "football belongs to no individual" and calling for an independent review into the stake sale proposal.
US President Donald Trump says it would be a "terrible mistake" to remove FIFA president Gianni Infantino, whose position has come under pressure following UEFA, Concacaf, and the Asian Football Confederation's open letter accusing him of breaking trust through his aborted FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal to sell 21% of commercial and ticketing rights to a private investment company.
Lionel Messi's father Jorge Messi died at age 68 following a long illness in his hometown of Rosario, Argentina. Jorge, who served as Messi's agent since the player was 14 years old, played a significant role in his son's football career; Inter Miami and Barcelona both honoured him with moments of silence.
Algeria, Morocco, Cameroon and Malawi have qualified for the 2027 Women's World Cup in Brazil by reaching the semi-finals of the Women's Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco. Four quarter-final losers—Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria and South Africa—can still qualify through intercontinental play-offs in November and December.
Lionel Messi missed Inter Miami's Leagues Cup defeat by Monterrey following the death of his father Jorge, who died on Saturday at age 68 after a long illness in Rosario, Argentina. Inter Miami paid tribute with a minute's silence, black armbands, and team-mates including Rodrigo de Paul honoured him during the match.
The US has offered $1bn to Colombia hours after right-wing populist Abelardo de la Espriella was sworn in as president. De la Espriella, an admirer of Donald Trump, vowed an "all-out war" on drug cartels in his inaugural speech, and the US said the security package would help achieve shared goals including fighting organised crime and illegal immigration.
Jorge Messi, the father and longtime agent of Argentine soccer star Lionel Messi, has died at age 68 in Rosario following treatment for an unspecified illness. Lionel Messi's emotional performance at this year's World Cup was attributed to personal difficulties related to his father's health.
According to a Daily Telegraph investigation, UEFA made a severance payment to a woman with whom FIFA president Gianni Infantino allegedly had a relationship while he was UEFA's general secretary. Infantino's spokesman said he "strongly denies these categorically untrue allegations," while UEFA confirmed the payment covered fees for an MBA course and was in line with regulations at the time.
The Argentine Football Association has announced that 15 July will be designated 'National Football Teams Day' to commemorate Argentina's 2-1 semi-final victory over England in the 2026 World Cup. The win, achieved through goals in the 85th and 92nd minutes after England led through Anthony Gordon's 55th-minute strike, reignited political tensions as some Argentine players celebrated with a banner referencing the Falkland Islands dispute.
The Argentine Football Association has announced that 15 July will be 'National Football Teams Day' to commemorate Argentina's 2-1 semi-final victory over England in the 2026 World Cup. The match, played in Atlanta, saw Argentina overcome a 55th-minute English goal with strikes in the 85th and 92nd minutes, and some Argentine players celebrated by displaying a banner referencing the disputed Falkland Islands.
Samuel Anim Addo, an Executive Council Member of the Ghana Football Association, has proposed that all Ghana-born players seeking national team selection must play in the domestic Colts system, arguing the measure would strengthen player development and restore traditional pathways.
The Chilean Football Federation has granted Colo Colo and goalkeeper Vozinha a special exemption to use his nickname rather than his legal name on his shirt, despite league regulations requiring players to use legal names. The 40-year-old Cape Verdean joined the club on a six-month contract following his World Cup performances.
The US has revoked the visa of Brazil's ambassador to Washington in a reciprocal action after Brazil denied visas to two US State Department officials last month, with Brazil's government claiming the officials sought to meddle in its elections. The cancellation marks the latest escalation in diplomatic tensions between the two countries, which have also involved US tariffs on Brazil and terrorist designations of Brazilian gangs.
Bubista Pedro Leitão Brito has resigned as Cape Verde head coach to join Moroccan club RS Berkane on a two-year deal. The 56-year-old guided Cape Verde to the World Cup last 32, where they lost 3-2 to Argentina, and previously reached the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations quarter-finals.
Pedro Leitao Brito, known as Bubista, has been appointed coach at Morocco's Renaissance Berkane on a two-season contract after leading Cape Verde to the last 32 in their World Cup debut. The 56-year-old, African Coach of the Year in 2025, is expected to quit the Cape Verde job shortly.