… In a statement, the Ghana High Commission in Canada said it had been directed by the Ministry of Sports and Recreation to collect details of Ghanaians in Canada who want to attend Ghana’s World Cup opener against Panama in Toronto on June 17 but have been unable to obtain tickets …
… In a statement, the Ghana High Commission in Canada said it had been directed by the Ministry of Sports and Recreation to collect details of Ghanaians in Canada who want to attend Ghana’s World Cup opener against Panama in Toronto on June 17 but have been unable to obtain tickets …
… In a statement, the Ghana High Commission in Canada said it had been directed by the Ministry of Sports and Recreation to collect details of Ghanaians in Canada who want to attend Ghana’s World Cup opener against Panama in Toronto on June 17 but have been unable to obtain tickets …
… Dora Francis Edu-Buandoh, the mission said it had received instructions from the Ministry of Sports and Recreation to compile a database of interested Ghanaian supporters ahead of the fixture scheduled for June 17, 2026. …
… Sports Infrastructure a Key Priority Dr Wuaku identified sports infrastructure as one of the Fund’s immediate priorities, revealing that the Government of Ghana, through the Ministry of Sports and Recreation, plans to construct eight multipurpose stadia across the country. …
Key stakeholders in Swimming have called on the Ministry of Sports and Recreation and the National Sports Authority to urgently intervene and resolve the ongoing issues affecting the Ghana Swimming Association (GSA). …
… Swimming Stakeholders Connect further called on the Ministry of Sports and Recreation to enforce the agreement on the formation of a five-member committee to ensure a free and fair election supervised by the Electoral Commission. …
The Ministry of Sports and Recreation has stated that the Ministerial Oversight Committee (MOC) spearheading the 2026 FIFA World Cup campaign is yet to process any Ghanaian supporter or official to be issued with a visa to travel.He stated that reports that about 400 football fan …
The leadership of the Ghana football fraternity, together with officials from the Ministry of Sports and Recreation, gathered in Accra on Sunday, May 17, 2026, for a solemn national interdenominational thanksgiving and prayer service in support of Ghana’s football ambitions, part …
The Upper East Regional Coordinating Council has submitted a proposal to the Ministry of Sports and Recreation and Ghana Gas Company for the redevelopment of the long-abandoned Bolgatanga Sports Stadium, which has remained incomplete for over five decades despite a perimeter wall being constructed. The effort aims to provide the region with a standard sports facility for youth development and competitive sporting events.
Medeama SC head coach Ibrahim Tanko has expressed willingness to take charge of Ghana's national team if offered the position by the GFA. Ghana is currently without a substantive head coach following Carlos Queiroz's departure, with the Black Stars set to begin 2027 AFCON qualifier preparations in September.
Vice President Professor Naana Jane Opoku-Agyemang has called on civil servants to strengthen professionalism, collaboration, and innovation to improve public service delivery, stating that government policies' effectiveness depends on the Civil Service's ability to translate them into results for citizens. She emphasised the Civil Service's role as a critical link between government and people, and noted the government's commitment to reforms including the National Public Sector Reform Strategy 2.
The Head of the Civil Service has urged greater attention to staff wellbeing, teamwork and discipline as part of public sector reform, saying activities that promote healthy living and interaction can reduce workplace pressure and strengthen cooperation among public servants.
The Minority in Parliament has called on the government to account for failures in the welfare and management of Ghanaian athletes at the 2026 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and the Black Queens. According to the Parliamentary Committee on Youth and Sports Ranking Member, athletes faced delays in receiving airline tickets and luggage allowances, late competition kits, lack of information about allowances and medal bonuses, and missing equipment like raincoats.
Players of Ghana's national women's football team have called on the GFA and relevant authorities to pay outstanding bonuses including WAFCON qualification and group-stage bonuses, unpaid per diems, and improve mental health and welfare support. The players also expressed concerns about limited support from government officials during their campaign.
The Ministry of Sports and Recreation denies owing the Black Queens outstanding per diems, stating players and officials were paid in advance on July 29 for July 26–August 7, and again on August 11 for August 8–14. The Ministry said winning bonuses from the group-stage victory over Cape Verde are being processed, and rejected claims of an outstanding WAFCON qualification bonus.
Ghana's contingent to the 2026 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow faced logistical and welfare failures including late airline tickets without luggage allowance, competition kits arriving after events, and athletes departing without being informed of per diem or medal bonus amounts. Ranking Member of Parliament's Committee on Youth and Sports Vincent Ekow Assafuah has demanded accountability from the Ministry of Sports and Recreation, citing what he describes as "a troubling pattern of administrative failure, financial uncertainty and disregard for the welfare of Ghanaian athletes."
The Ranking Member of Parliament for the Committee on Youth and Sports has demanded answers over reports of welfare failures involving Ghana's contingent at the 2026 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, citing late airline tickets with limited luggage allowance, delayed competition kits, unclear per diem and medal bonus entitlements, and missing raincoats.
The Ministry of Sports and Recreation denied claims that government owes the Black Queens outstanding per diems, stating that players and eligible officials received advance payments on July 29 and August 11 to cover their stay during WAFCON 2026 and FIFA World Cup play-in qualification. The Ministry also clarified that a winning bonus for the Cape Verde victory is being processed, but rejected claims of an outstanding qualification bonus, noting that government's sports financing framework does not provide for bonuses for qualifying matches.
Ghana Exim Bank has commissioned an astro turf park at Hogbe Park in Anloga, Volta Region, as part of its 10th anniversary celebrations and corporate social responsibility initiatives. The ultra-modern facility, named after the Overlord of Anlo State, was built to support youth empowerment and competitive sporting activities in the community.
SWAG, founded in 1968, celebrated its 58th anniversary on Monday, reflecting on nearly six decades of sports journalism and advocacy while pledging commitment to equipping emerging sports journalists with skills to thrive in a digital landscape.
Ghana's Parliament Speaker Alban Bagbin has announced a private sector-led "Visit Ghana" marketing initiative that will place the country's name on Sunderland FC's jerseys during the 2026/27 English Premier League season, aimed at promoting Ghana tourism globally.
Ghana's Parliament Speaker Alban Sumani Kingsford Bagbin has announced a private sector-led "Visit Ghana" initiative that will place the tourism branding on the front of Sunderland Football Club's jerseys during the 2026/2027 English Premier League season, positioning Ghana as the first African country in such a partnership with a top-flight club.
Speaker Bagbin announced that Parliament is in serious discussions with English Premier League side Sunderland AFC to establish a strategic partnership for youth football development in Ghana, with a pathway for selected young Ghanaian players to train at the club's Academy of Light starting in the 2026/2027 season.
Speaker of Parliament Alban Bagbin announced a private sector-led initiative to display "Visit Ghana" on the front of Sunderland Football Club's jerseys during the 2026/2027 English Premier League season as a tourism promotion drive. The project, supported by the GFA, Ministry of Sports and Recreation, and Ministry of Finance, would make Ghana the first African country with such a partnership with a Premier League club.
BRÜHM, a home appliance and consumer electronics brand, recognised five former Ghana internationals — Rev. Osei Kofi, Ibrahim Sunday, Mohammed Ahmed "Polo", Nii Odartey Lamptey, and Dan Quaye — during a dinner on 31 July 2026, honouring their achievements in African and FIFA competitions. Each recipient received a commemorative citation, BRÜHM television, and refrigerator.
Sports Minister Kofi Adams visited Ghana's Black Queens team in Morocco to deliver messages of encouragement from the Executive, Parliament, and Ministry on behalf of the nation ahead of their Women's Africa Cup of Nations Group C opener against Cape Verde.
Para powerlifter Tahiru Haruna will carry the King's Baton and 17-year-old judoka Frema Agyei will be Flag Bearer for Team Ghana at the Glasgow 2026 Commonwealth Games, selections the Government says reflect merit and inclusion in sports development.
The Electricity Company of Ghana and the Power Tennis Club have inaugurated a renovated tennis court in Accra to promote sports development and community engagement. The facility, originally built in 1994, was upgraded through contributions from the club's executives, patrons, and donors.
Ghana's premier urban cycling event, Pruride, will return for its seventh edition with a 30km fun ride on August 22 and an elite race on September 6, featuring male cyclists competing over 112km and female cyclists over 62km, with the overall winner receiving GHS15,000.
The Ghana Football Association and Ministry of Sports have agreed to retain Portuguese coach Carlos Queiroz beyond his initial four-month contract, with Queiroz expected to sign a two-year deal to lead the Black Stars toward winning the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations.
The Ghana Football Association has dismissed allegations that it demands money from players in exchange for national team call-ups, describing the claims as fabricated and aimed at damaging its reputation. The GFA stated that player selection is solely the head coaches' responsibility and that financial entitlements are paid directly by the Ministry of Sports and Recreation into players' bank accounts.
The Ghana Olympic Committee president says the Ghana House project, launched in London on July 8, 2026, represents a major opportunity to advance Ghana's economic diplomacy agenda and position the country as an investment destination. The initiative is designed to promote Ghanaian products and services, facilitate trade partnerships, showcase tourism and creative industries, and strengthen diaspora relationships.
The Ghana Football Association has denied allegations circulating on social media that it demands money from players for national team call-ups, describing the claims as false and malicious. The GFA clarified that player selection is the head coach's responsibility and that all payments to players are handled by the Ministry of Sports and Recreation, not the Association itself.
Ghana's Ministry of Sports confirmed that its ticket assistance program expired after the group stage, meaning fans must now buy their own tickets for the knockout round where Ghana faces Colombia. The government had allocated 948, 1,000, and 974 tickets respectively for Ghana's group matches against Panama, England, and Croatia.
Ghana's Ministry of Sports and Recreation has stated that public funds will not be used to support football fans travelling to the 2026 FIFA World Cup, citing high costs (estimated at $11,000 per person) and the need to prioritise domestic development under current economic conditions.
The Ministry of Sports and Recreation dismissed claims that the government intends to use public funds to sponsor Ghanaian supporters to attend the upcoming FIFA World Cup, stating that President Mahama and the Sports Minister have ruled out taxpayer funding for such trips. The government cited the high cost (estimated at about $11,000 per supporter) and the need to channel limited resources into economic development and sports infrastructure, and said it has instead adopted a private sector-led approach to support Ghana's World Cup participation.
The First Deputy Minority Whip has called on Parliament to scrutinise government expenditure on the Black Stars' World Cup participation, citing lack of transparency from the Ministry of Sports and Recreation. He stated Parliament had not been briefed on the team's budget, camping arrangements, and preparations, and alleged the Ghana Supporters Union had been allocated 90 visa slots despite earlier assurances that no supporters would be sponsored.