The Director-General of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has raised alarm over the growing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda, warning that the epidemic poses a serious regional threat amid rising suspected cases and deaths. …
WHO warns Ebola outbreak in DR Congo and Uganda could worsen as suspected deaths hit 139Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
Also known as: WHO boss · Director-General Tedros · WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
In coverage
Verbatim sentences from the source article.
- May 2026
… WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who declared the outbreak an international emergency last week, said he was “deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic”. …
Ebola outbreak may be spreading faster than first thought, WHO doctor warns… ed of the epidemic”, which has already started spreading into Uganda. “Early on Sunday, I declared a public health emergency of international concern over an epidemic of Ebola disease in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda,” Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus …
WHO to hold emergency committee meeting as Ebola death toll rises to 131… WHO director general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned there are currently “significant uncertainties to the true number of infected persons and geographic spread” of the outbreak.-BBC Follow our WhatsApp Channel now! …
WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo an international emergency… FUNDING CUTS LOOM OVER RESPONSE Africa’s top public health agency finally announced the outbreak on May 15, and WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus made his declaration of a public health emergency the following day. …
Congo: Flawed tests and funerals allowed Ebola to spread undetected, sources say… It is served by a fearless analysis of what works.” He recalled hosting the Director-General of the World Health Organisation, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, former Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo, and other global leaders in Accra in 2025 to advance discussions on health so …
Ghana on track to exit Gavi Vaccine funding by 2030 — Mahama announces at World Health Assembly… President Mahama concluded by expressing appreciation to Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and the World Health Organization for their leadership and partnership. …
“Let us not let reform be a ceiling” — Mahama calls for bold global health reforms… Mr Mahama acknowledged the support of the World Health Organization and its Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, for recognising Ghana’s progress. …
Mahama touts Ghana’s free primary healthcare programme at World Health Assembly… Upon his arrival, the President was received at the airport by Director-General of the WHO, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, and Nane Annan, wife of the late former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan. …
Mahama to address 79th World Health Assembly on health sovereignty for Global South… On Tuesday, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said there was at that time “no sign” of a larger hantavirus outbreak after the evacuation of the last passengers from the ship a day earlier. …
Woman isolating on British island in South Pacific after hantavirus contact
WHO declares Ebola outbreak regional emergency amid rising cases
The WHO Director-General has declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern over an Ebola outbreak in DR Congo and Uganda, citing 51 confirmed cases and 139 suspected deaths, with nearly 600 suspected infections under investigation. The organisation warns the epidemic poses a serious regional threat and expects case numbers to continue rising.
7 hours ago · Joy Online →
Today
WHO declares Ebola outbreak regional emergency amid rising cases
The WHO Director-General has declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern over an Ebola outbreak in DR Congo and Uganda, citing 51 confirmed cases and 139 suspected deaths, with nearly 600 suspected infections under investigation. The organisation warns the epidemic poses a serious regional threat and expects case numbers to continue rising.
7 hours ago · Joy Online →
WHO warns Ebola spreading faster than initially thought in Congo
The World Health Organisation warned that cases of a deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo's northeastern Ituri province may be spreading faster than originally thought, with officials reporting 136 deaths and more than 514 suspected cases in the country, while modelling suggested substantial under-detection and potentially more than 1,000 cases already.
18 hours ago · Joy Online →
Yesterday
WHO convenes emergency committee as DRC Ebola deaths reach 131
The WHO's expert panel is meeting to discuss vaccine options for a new Ebola epidemic in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda, where the death toll has risen to an estimated 131 from 513 suspected cases, prompting the WHO to declare an international health emergency.
19 May 2026 · Joy Online →
WHO declares DR Congo Ebola outbreak international emergency
The World Health Organisation has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo's eastern Ituri province a public health emergency of international concern. The outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo virus with 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths reported, has spread to Uganda with two confirmed cases and poses risk of broader regional spread.
19 May 2026 · The Ghanaian Times →
Flawed tests and funerals delayed Congo Ebola detection
Diagnostic tests calibrated for the wrong Ebola strain, improper sample storage and shipping, and local funeral practices allowed the virus to spread undetected into rebel-held territory and Uganda before health officials confirmed new infections in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. The WHO declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, with 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed cases, and 246 suspected cases reported so far.
19 May 2026 · Joy Online →
Monday 18 May
Ghana plans to exit Gavi vaccine funding by 2030
President Mahama announced at the World Health Assembly that Ghana is on track to exit financial support from Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, by 2030 as it strengthens self-reliance in healthcare financing and vaccine delivery.
18 May 2026 · Joy Online →
Mahama calls for bold reforms to global health system
President Mahama addressed the World Health Assembly in Geneva, calling for ambitious reforms to reshape global health systems and strengthen healthcare delivery in developing countries. He emphasized that the emerging health order must be driven by "agency, not aid" and "partnership, not paternalism," with greater ownership from Global South nations.
18 May 2026 · Joy Online →
Ghana launches free primary healthcare amid NHIS coverage gaps
President Mahama told the World Health Assembly that Ghana has implemented aggressive healthcare reforms, including a free primary healthcare programme to serve the 34% of the population not covered by the National Health Insurance Scheme, and removed the cap on the National Health Insurance Fund, releasing an additional GH¢3 billion for healthcare investment.
18 May 2026 · Joy Online →
Mahama to advocate health sovereignty at World Health Assembly
President Mahama will deliver a keynote address at the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneva, where he will advocate greater health sovereignty for countries in the Global South and promote the "Accra Reset Initiative," a programme aimed at promoting health sovereignty and reducing dependence on external donor support.
18 May 2026 · Joy Online →
Wednesday 13 May
Woman isolates on Pitcairn Islands after cruise ship hantavirus exposure
A woman who travelled on a hantavirus-hit cruise ship is isolating on the Pitcairn Islands, a remote British Overseas Territory in the South Pacific, after having contact with a hantavirus-exposed individual, though she is showing no signs of illness. Three people have died after travelling on the MV Hondius cruise ship, with the WHO confirming nine cases and two others suspected.
13 May 2026 · Joy Online →
Tuesday 12 May
No larger hantavirus outbreak detected after cruise ship evacuation
The WHO chief said there is "no sign" of a larger hantavirus outbreak following the evacuation of the MV Hondius cruise ship, though he warned the situation could change and more cases may emerge in the coming weeks. Seven cases have been confirmed overall, three people have died, and twelve Dutch hospital employees are in quarantine after treating an evacuated passenger.
12 May 2026 · Joy Online →
Monday 11 May
Hantavirus cruise ship clears as cases rise globally
The MV Hondius departed Tenerife for the Netherlands after its final passengers left, as authorities confirmed three new positive hantavirus cases linked to the outbreak. Seven cases have been confirmed and two others suspected according to the WHO, with three passengers having died.
11 May 2026 · Joy Online →
France confirms first hantavirus case linked to cruise ship
Seven cases of hantavirus linked to the MV Hondius cruise ship have been confirmed, with an American and French national testing positive after returning home. Three passengers have died, including two confirmed cases, and the WHO says the virus's Andes strain was likely contracted in South America.
11 May 2026 · Joy Online →
US and French nationals test positive for hantavirus after cruise ship
An American and a French national who left a cruise ship hit by a hantavirus outbreak have tested positive for the virus after returning home; more than 90 passengers from the MV Hondius ship are being repatriated, with three passengers dead and officials saying the risk of a major outbreak is very low.
11 May 2026 · Joy Online →
Spain evacuates hantavirus-hit cruise ship near Tenerife
Spain has begun evacuating passengers from the MS Hondius cruise ship anchored near Tenerife in the Canary Islands after a hantavirus outbreak. Health Minister Mónica García said all passengers remaining on board are asymptomatic, and they are being divided by nationality and flown to their home countries via charter planes.
11 May 2026 · The Ghanaian Times →
Sunday 10 May
Spain evacuates hantavirus-infected cruise ship near Tenerife
Spain has begun evacuating passengers from the MS Hondius, a cruise ship anchored near Tenerife after a hantavirus outbreak that resulted in one passenger death a month ago. All passengers remain asymptomatic and will be repatriated by charter flights grouped by nationality, with the last evacuation flight expected to leave Monday for Australia.
10 May 2026 · Joy Online →
Hantavirus-infected cruise ship reaches Tenerife port
The MV Hondius cruise ship, on which a passenger died of hantavirus nearly a month ago, has arrived near Tenerife in the Canary Islands. More than 100 people will be repatriated under strict isolation measures, with Spain's health minister describing the operation involving 23 countries as "unprecedented."
10 May 2026 · Joy Online →