Also known as: WHO boss · Director-General Tedros · WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus · Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus · Dr Tedros · WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus · Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus · Dr. Tedros · Dr Ghebreyesus
WHO Director-General warning of Africa's declining health funding and managing response to major Ebola outbreak.
… In an update on Friday, WHO head Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus also said the risk in the wider region in Africa was “high”, but it remained “low” globally. …
… WHO chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said there have been 600 suspected cases of Ebola and 139 suspected deaths, but numbers are expected to rise given the time taken to detect the virus. …
… WHO chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said there have been 600 suspected cases of Ebola and 139 suspected deaths but numbers are expected to rise given the time taken to detect the virus. …
The Director-General of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has raised alarm over the growing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda, warning that the epidemic poses a serious regional threat amid rising suspected cases and deaths. …
… WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who declared the outbreak an international emergency last week, said he was “deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic”. …
… ed of the epidemic”, which has already started spreading into Uganda. “Early on Sunday, I declared a public health emergency of international concern over an epidemic of Ebola disease in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda,” Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus …
The Director-General of the World Health Organisation (WHO), Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has praised President John Mahama for his leadership in pushing reforms aimed at reshaping the global health system amid declining international aid. …
… WHO director general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned there are currently “significant uncertainties to the true number of infected persons and geographic spread” of the outbreak.-BBC Follow our WhatsApp Channel now! …
… FUNDING CUTS LOOM OVER RESPONSE Africa’s top public health agency finally announced the outbreak on May 15, and WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus made his declaration of a public health emergency the following day. …
… It is served by a fearless analysis of what works.” He recalled hosting the Director-General of the World Health Organisation, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, former Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo, and other global leaders in Accra in 2025 to advance discussions on health so …
The World Health Organization director-general said the current Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is on track to surpass the 2014–2016 outbreak, which killed at least 11,000 people. The 2026 outbreak, declared on 15 May, has recorded at least 4,300 cases and more than 2,000 deaths, with the virus believed to have begun spreading in February.
The World Health Organization director-general said the current Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is on track to surpass the 2014–2016 outbreak, which killed at least 11,000 people. The 2026 outbreak, declared on 15 May, has recorded at least 4,300 cases and more than 2,000 deaths, with the virus believed to have begun spreading in February.
Heads of State and Government, health ministers, and development partners met in Accra to advance Africa's health agenda, with a focus on ending AIDS and tuberculosis by 2030, reducing maternal mortality, and boosting local pharmaceutical manufacturing. Delegates are expected to adopt a fully-costed continental roadmap and declarations on monitoring non-communicable and neglected tropical diseases.
WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned at an African Union health summit in Accra that Africa risks losing decades of progress against diseases like HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria unless governments increase domestic health financing. He noted that while Africa has recorded significant gains—including a 40% reduction in new HIV infections since 2010—declining external support threatens those achievements across multiple health areas.
At the African Union's first Extraordinary Summit on health in Accra, WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned that declining international funding threatens Africa's progress against HIV, tuberculosis, malaria, and other diseases, urging African leaders to prioritise health sovereignty and increase domestic investment in healthcare systems.
The Democratic Republic of Congo's Ebola outbreak has killed at least 930 people with at least 2,344 confirmed cases as of Saturday, spreading faster than any previous outbreak in the country; the WHO noted the outbreak reached 2,000 confirmed cases in two months, compared to over 10 months for the 2018–2020 outbreak, and is now the third-largest on record.
France and Belgium confirmed a combined toll of over 3,200 excess deaths during a record Western European heatwave in late June, with France reporting 2,025 additional deaths between June 22–28 (a 29 per cent surge) and authorities warning that these figures likely underestimate the true impact.
A clinical trial of two therapeutics for the Bundibugyo virus strain of Ebola has begun in the DRC with the enrolment of the first patient, the WHO announced. The current outbreak has confirmed over 1,400 cases and 438 deaths in the DRC as of 30 June, with additional cases reported in Uganda and France.
The WHO Director-General said the hantavirus outbreak is nearing its end, with all contacts of identified cases having completed their follow-up periods and no additional cases reported; the total remains 13 cases, including three fatalities.
The WHO chief said more than 1,300 excess deaths have been recorded since 21 June linked to high temperatures in Europe, with Germany hitting a record 41.7 °C on Sunday. France's health ministry reported around 1,000 more deaths than expected since Wednesday, mostly among those aged 65 and over.
South Africa's justice minister has warned that a surge in attacks on foreign nationals is damaging the country's global image and affecting South African artists and businesses abroad. The violence has prompted several African countries, including Ghana, Malawi, and Mozambique, to repatriate their nationals over safety concerns.
The WHO Director-General has strongly condemned renewed xenophobic attacks in South Africa, describing them as a "tragic betrayal" of the country's historic struggle for freedom. The violence has killed at least five Ethiopians and five Mozambicans, displaced thousands of families, and sparked mass demonstrations.
The WHO director-general said Uganda should reconsider its temporary closure of its border with the Democratic Republic of Congo over an Ebola outbreak, stating that blanket travel restrictions don't work. Uganda has reported 19 confirmed Ebola cases, mostly from people who entered from Congo, where the outbreak has 544 confirmed cases.
The World Health Organisation announced a $518 million, six-month plan to combat an Ebola outbreak affecting the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. The outbreak, involving the Bundibugyo strain for which there is no approved vaccine or treatment, has recorded 381 confirmed cases and 62 deaths in Congo, and 19 cases and two deaths in Uganda.
Democratic Republic of Congo authorities reported around 380 confirmed Ebola cases and 60 deaths, down from over 1,000 suspected cases, but the reduction reflects improved data through lab testing rather than a decrease in danger. Key challenges remain, including that only about 45% of contacts with Ebola patients are being traced—below the 90% needed for control—and mistrust in affected communities.
Ghana has activated its Ebola preparedness and response plan in response to outbreaks in the DRC and Uganda, strengthening surveillance, laboratory testing, and case management systems. As of June 3, 2026, the DRC had recorded 344 confirmed Ebola cases and 60 deaths, while Uganda had recorded 15 confirmed cases and one death.
The World Health Organisation said Wednesday that the world is "catching up" with the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where there have been 344 confirmed cases and 60 confirmed deaths. The outbreak, linked to the Bundibugyo strain, has spread to neighbouring Uganda with 15 confirmed cases including one death.
The WHO Director-General concluded his visit to the Democratic Republic of Congo by briefing President Felix Tshisekedi on the response to an Ebola outbreak that aid agencies warn is likely much larger than official figures. Health officials say the outbreak, already the third-largest on record, persisted undetected for weeks and responders are struggling to bring it under control.
Médecins Sans Frontières warns that the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is "deeply alarming," with MSF deputy director Dr Alan Gonzales stating that never before has an Ebola outbreak recorded so many cases so soon after declaration. The outbreak has produced over 1,000 suspected cases and at least 246 deaths in DR Congo, with Uganda reporting nine confirmed cases and one death.
Three Red Cross volunteers died in the Democratic Republic of Congo from suspected Ebola likely caught while managing dead bodies while working in the eastern Ituri region. The outbreak, involving the Bundibugyo species of Ebola with no proven vaccine, has resulted in more than 170 suspected deaths and 750 suspected cases, prompting the WHO to raise the public health risk to "very high."
The World Health Organization has raised the public health risk from the current Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo from "high" to "very high," while the wider African region faces a "high" risk and the global risk remains "low." The rare Bundibugyo species, with no proven vaccine and a fatality rate of about a third, has resulted in 177 suspected deaths and 750 suspected cases so far.
The WHO states it could take up to nine months before a vaccine against the Bundibugyo species of Ebola is ready, as two candidate vaccines are still in development and have not entered clinical trials. With 51 confirmed cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo and two in Uganda, the WHO declared a public health emergency of international concern but said the risk at the global level is low.
The WHO says a vaccine against the Bundibugyo species of Ebola could take up to nine months to develop, as two candidate vaccines are still undergoing development and have not entered clinical trials. There have been 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths, with 51 confirmed cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo and two in Uganda, though the WHO assessed the risk as high at national and regional levels but low globally.
The WHO Director-General has declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern over an Ebola outbreak in DR Congo and Uganda, citing 51 confirmed cases and 139 suspected deaths, with nearly 600 suspected infections under investigation. The organisation warns the epidemic poses a serious regional threat and expects case numbers to continue rising.
The World Health Organisation warned that cases of a deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo's northeastern Ituri province may be spreading faster than originally thought, with officials reporting 136 deaths and more than 514 suspected cases in the country, while modelling suggested substantial under-detection and potentially more than 1,000 cases already.
The WHO's expert panel is meeting to discuss vaccine options for a new Ebola epidemic in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda, where the death toll has risen to an estimated 131 from 513 suspected cases, prompting the WHO to declare an international health emergency.
The Director-General of the WHO has commended President Mahama's "Accra Reset" initiative as a rallying call for countries seeking greater health sovereignty and reduced dependence on donor funding, amid declining international aid. Speaking at the World Health Assembly in Geneva, he stated the global health community is at a critical moment requiring bold reforms to build a new global health architecture.
The World Health Organisation has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo's eastern Ituri province a public health emergency of international concern. The outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo virus with 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths reported, has spread to Uganda with two confirmed cases and poses risk of broader regional spread.
Diagnostic tests calibrated for the wrong Ebola strain, improper sample storage and shipping, and local funeral practices allowed the virus to spread undetected into rebel-held territory and Uganda before health officials confirmed new infections in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. The WHO declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, with 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed cases, and 246 suspected cases reported so far.
President Mahama announced at the World Health Assembly that Ghana is on track to exit financial support from Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, by 2030 as it strengthens self-reliance in healthcare financing and vaccine delivery.